Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo Trim switch wiring, HELP :) >

Bravo Trim switch wiring, HELP :)

Notices

Bravo Trim switch wiring, HELP :)

Old 03-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo Trim switch wiring, HELP :)

I have searched the archive but have not been able to find the answer to my question.

It seems easy enough, but the merc manual has made me even more confused

I have the following and after pulling the dash apart to redo it, everyhting works fine EXCEPT the drive trim

I have a 3 positon switch for each drive (6 terminals, but they are segregated, up, common and down, 3 per side) I also have a 2 position momentary trailer switch (up and common) and I have trim in the throttle (up, common and down, a set of wires for each drive)

The way the throttle switch is wired into the wiring for the switched even when applying 12v to the wire it will not go up, Down works just fine. I cna wire the switch and it works fine, but the odd man out is the 4th wire that wants to be connected, and was before I disassembled , but there is no way it will work on the switch without jumping a connection.

Tell me what I am doing wrong

Does anyone have better diagram or description of the wiring then what is in the merc manual.

Thanks for the help

Christian
Old 03-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Registered

Default Re: Bravo Trim switch wiring, HELP :)

This is the diagram I am using
Attached Thumbnails Bravo Trim switch wiring, HELP :)-merc-wiring.jpg  
Old 03-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Registered

your problem sound like its related to the trim limit switch or wiring to it,what are the wire colors you are using????
Old 03-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

green= down
blue= up
red= positive
purple= trim limit over ride up

the switches sound like dual pole switches, which are used when you have a second source of opperation, like trim in the throttle, or a tandem switch, like ones found in a three switch panel. it omits the need for a diode in some applications.
the purple lead in the trim harness can be tapped along with the blue as a quik fix or you need a second switch with a second fused hot lead, if not already there.
hope this was a help
Old 03-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 992 Likes on 503 Posts

Can you make things a little clearer? Is this diagram you posted look exactly like what you have in the boat? Or are you just using this for a referance? When you mentioned the 6 terminal switch it throws me for a loop....

If all the switches are working properly and your just having problems with the throttle switch...then my advice to you is to wire it to the trailer switch.....but...its going to depend on how the switch is setup...if the trailer switch has 6 positions like the others then you will need to split the throttle wires in to two pairs each and use dome diodes to keep from back feed the opposite sides drives when using the individual switchs......if its just a 3 terminal switch then all you do is hook up the throttle switch wires to each of the terminals.....red going to the middle 12v and the blue and green should go to corresponding colors as well if its wired correctly from the start.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Registered

no the diagram is one that is out of the merc manual and has made me even more confused

OK I will do my best to describe the setup and be concise

Seperate switchs for each motor, each switch has 6 conductors on it, and they are segregated by sides, so I am only using one side, center for power bottom connector for up and top connector for down (that is the way the switchs make contact)

I have a single trailer switch that has 2 connectors, center and switched momentary

I have the following wires

purple and blue with white trace connected together (UP)
red (battery)
Green with a trace color but do not reacal colcor (down)
I also have the mystery purple wire that does nothing

I currently have it wired so that the drives trim, but I found out yesterday when I had her out that the port trim indicator has failed, so I have a new one to install. I do not knwo if that has contributed to the problem, but I would like to make it right once the indicator is working again

Thanks for all you help

btw she ran 68.4 @ 4600 yesterday even after I added all the stereo (pics are in the PQ section)

Christian