Pros And Cons On Trs Drives >

Pros And Cons On Trs Drives

Notices

Pros And Cons On Trs Drives

Old 03-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Pros And Cons On Trs Drives

[QUOTE=J-Bonz]How can you compare those light lay up brand new boats / with bravos to the resin buckets with trs. I would laugh to if i saw Trs's on a gladiator! I think a beter comparison would be 1994 model that was equiped with gernades or trs drives.
Jr.[/QUOTE

the comparison is in the power to weight ratio. the glad has 750 zuls a weighs 8000 +. the 42 full stagger has 800's and is over 10k , and the 38 has 750's and is about 9000 +/- . all with bravos . all over 700 hp. all over 100. my point is if you try this with a trs, it will blow up. and in all 3 of these cases the bravos didnot. the trs is an inferior drive period if you do this kind of boating. they will not handle the g-load, rpm, or surfacing.
you can get in to all the mumbo jumbo bout this and that, but its wasted air.
an xr or konrad are far superior and can be pushed to limits far beyond the trs ever could.
in the wrong hand (throtle) any of them are junk. but we must asssume that we are speaking of people fairly knowledgeable about POWER BOATING.

again i do not mean to offend anyone, this in my mind is pure motor heading and i thank you for the conversation.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Re: Pros And Cons On Trs Drives

If you love the boat, and if it's worth investing the money , Konrad is the answer.
I am so impressed with them.
It cost my friend alot of money replacing Trs transom assemblies, Blowing up two Left hand units, and also a tranny. Especially the haulouts, and labor.
All of that trs stuff was eventually replaced anyway with Konrad 540's.
If you are going to keep the boat, and want to have the assurance that you will not blow up drives or crack transom assemblies, Go Konrad.
You guys with access to drives, trailer your boat, have spare stuff and like to tinker alot, stay with the Trs if it works for you.
Monsta is Right ! Many parts are discontinued, and when there gone that's it.
The last Trs Drive was 1990.
We tried a pair of Trs($6200) that were shimmed instead of having the crush collar in the lower. They lasted a while, but the left hand one still blew up.
Around here with the salt water, if they don't blow up, they rot out.
These Konrads are a bargain at $20,000
The conversion is easy. Everything is so much better.
The trim rams alone are absolutely amazing.
Everything is made so well, and made to resist corrosion, so much better that a stock drive system.
They really knock themselves out and skimp nowhere.
Even the transom assembly studs are stainless.
Everything including the transom assembly is made to be easily serviced and maintained.
It's very believable why the military uses them.
They are made to higher standards.
See some posts that I have subscribed to concerning these drives. BBB
Old 03-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on that note i happened to have the konrad rep at my shop to sign on for the dealer program. they are a great piece.
but back to the discusion of trs, the value is lost when you purchase, as when you go to sell it. i just might wait and see if you can hold out for the right deal on the rite piece. dont settle because of a price limit you set for yourself, rather be dollar wise and penny foolish.

best of luck.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
essentially there junk on any kind of performance boat, with all due. the lower the value, and increse expense due to service. they don not handle surfacing almost at all. most importantly they are really old and the parts will soon be scarce.

the positive to it is that you can replace them with a much better unit with out having to close your transom and go to bravo's. not a cheap investment either way. i say this from my experience in the industry over quite a few years.

good luck.
I agree
Old 03-27-2006, 01:28 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Pros And Cons On Trs Drives

i had a 1983 excalibur 27 speedster 4800LBS with a TRS 72c borg-warner trans, single 540/650hp JIM ODDY engine, never a problem with the drive or trans, AT 72MPH now i have a Pantera 28 WEIGHS 7400LB WITH 12O GALLONS OF FUEL with twin 502/675hp, [650hp at the props] TRS DRIVES, 72C B+W TRANS 27pitch four blade hydromotive intimidators , RUNS 92-94MPH, I WAS TOLD NEVER SHIFT THEM OVER 1000 RPM , THEY WORK JUST FINE AND THEY STAY ON THE BOAT, EVEN AT THE RACK, NOT AT THE LOCAL DRIVE SHOP, I SEEN THE ACHY BREAKY BRAVOS OFF A LOT OF BOATS AT MY RACK AND LAUCH,EVERY WEEK HERE IN THE SUMMER MAYBE MERCURY STOPPED MAKING THEM IN 1993, BECAUSE, THEY DO NOT FAIL, MORE PART SALES FOR MERCURY AND WORK FOR MECHANICS, HAVING TRANSMISSIONS IN THE BOAT WITH ENGINES FORWARD HELP GET THEM ON PLANE QUICKER, I GIVE THE MIGHTY TRS A BIG PROS, I WAS TOLD THEY CAN TAKE 700HP, IS THAT RIGHT TRS FANS, MERC MECHANICS? ALL OF YOUR BIG POWER OFFSHORES USE SPEEDMASTER DRIVES AND TRANSMISSIONS, THE TRS UPPER IS WHERE IT ALL STARTED, SPEEDMASTER #1 AND #2, ONE OF THEM FIT UNDER A TRS UPPER UNIT, BRAVO 1 AND 2 ARE TRASH, EXCEPT MAYBE THE XR, FROM WHAT I HERE

Last edited by vertigo88; 03-27-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:15 AM
Registered

Hi guys newbie here. i was given a 1970 27 foot thunderbird cherokee with twin ford 302 and and 215H drives. This setup has a tranny..huber i believe...Obviously these thing are @%#$ old... but seeing as this boat is just going to shuttle divers around lake ontario. I don't need killer drives. I see that from the parts schematic, the 215H is similar to the TRS drive. I has teh same upper gear assembly to gimble gasket. So I am assuming they are very close in design. My question is what should/recommend i replace the the 215's with? TRS's? Konrads? Is there such a thing as used konrads? .....didn't think so

I beleive the 302 engines push about 188hp so I won't be busting anything anytime soon but I also don't want to spend a cars worth of cash on two drives.

Any of your expert advice would be most helpful.

Cheers,
Denis