Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Impeller Question >

Impeller Question

Notices

Impeller Question

Old 03-21-2006, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impeller Question

Anyone here had any experience with Globe Impellers. They are supposed to be impregnated with oil and have the capability to run dry without damage. I couldn't tell you how long they can run dry. They are also supposed to hold up better against sand and the normal crap that eats impellers. Cost for a bravo/inboard setup is about $45.00 per impeller. Not much more that stock. I have heard the military uses them exclusively. I'm going to freshen mine this spring and wondering if it's worth the extra doe. Check them out at globerubberworks.com
Old 03-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Impeller Question

Sounds great if true, they only have two mercruiser models the 1000 and 2000. I guess the 2000 is for the Bravo type inboard water pump.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:45 AM

Ya, that sounds right. I was told that Merc recently has changed the way the shaft engages the impeller. Old style uses a key way. New style uses a flat. Globe does not have the core for the flat yet. (Just more info to share that I have found.) As long as my cases look good, I will probably try these globe impellers. Somebody must have used them before.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran globe on the port engine against a stock impeller on the stbd. I dont ever run them dry but wanted to see how they did. I do have lots of sand in the water where I boat. The globe was weak and the outer edge of the vanes scored after one year and I replaced it. The stocker has 2 years now and will see one more.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by formula31
I ran globe on the port engine against a stock impeller on the stbd. I dont ever run them dry but wanted to see how they did. I do have lots of sand in the water where I boat. The globe was weak and the outer edge of the vanes scored after one year and I replaced it. The stocker has 2 years now and will see one more.
WOW! That's not what I expected to here. Thanks F-31
Old 03-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula31
I HAD A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE - DONT WASTE THE MONEY.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:46 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a picture of a Globe Blue with approximately 25 hours of use.
I have put an additional 42 hours of run time on this impeller.
I am going to do some exploratory surgery to observe it's present condition.
Attached Thumbnails Impeller Question-globe-blue-1.jpg  
Old 03-23-2006, 06:56 AM

Ttt
Old 03-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Registered

I put one of the Globe impellors in a customers boat - bravo style pump 600Hp 502 mag. It's been about a year and so far no problems. He was constantly burning up impellors before (he is on a Hyrdahoist and would forget to turn on the water).

What bugs me about the Globe impellor is the sloppy fit on the pump shaft. Using the drive key they recommended (merc part #28-56662) it can rotate back and forth on the shaft too much.

What impressed me about the Globe company is that when I called to see if they had a key that fit better or if they were going to produce a better fitting hub (that didn't need a key), the President of the company called me back and spent about ten minutes with me on the phone.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Impeller Question-globe01.jpg  
Old 03-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Registered

I just bought two of them for my 38 Fountain. I change my impellers at the start of every season but by August two year in a row within weeks of each other I lost the Merc impellers. I boat in clean water so I figure it's because the X dimensions are so high that they burn up from dry running. Globe claims their impellers can run 15 minutes dry. I'll keep everyone informed as to their performance as the season progresses. I will say that they do fit a bit sloppy on the shaft as stated above however, I do not feel it will be an issue. Also as stated above, Globe is VERY helpful. I purchased mine from Boatfix.com and Defender.com also carries them.

Quick Reply: Impeller Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.