depth gauge not working

Notices

depth gauge not working

Old 03-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: depth gauge not working

My previous non stepped boat had the transducer in the bilge. It was epoxied in a PVC tube that was FG'd to the hull bottom.I don't know if the tube extended into teh bottom or was just flush with it. That one would read up to 80mph every time.
My current boat, stepped bottom, never worked after the boat was put in gear. Even at idle speed, so no chance of air. It was just epoxied to the bottom in the bilge.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:41 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mr mercruiser
one good test would be to get the boat on plain-go as fast as you can towards the beach-when the boat stops -look at the guage-if it reads 0 its working ok.make sure it reads 0 when the boat stops or you may have to recalibrate it alittle

That won't work, has to be in water. But it should work right up till it says 0.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr mercruiser
one good test would be to get the boat on plain-go as fast as you can towards the beach-when the boat stops -look at the guage-if it reads 0 its working ok.make sure it reads 0 when the boat stops or you may have to recalibrate it alittle
Hell, I already did that with my Stingray!!!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig I am sure you allready checked all of your connections under the dash but if it worked for a minute mabee just a bad ground or something simple take another look even run a temporary ground wire to make sure if you find nothing there then it is most likely your x-ducer try reseting it like fund razor said
Darryl
Old 03-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Registered

I did double check it again today, everything looks fine except where the wire gets crimped because of that round access panel. It looks and feels solid in there, won't wiggle or anything. I'll pick up some epoxy at the Home DeePot this week and if that doesn't work, then I'll just take it out and point it at the Ex, she's very shallow, should set off the alarm
Old 03-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Registered

Unsane, call me and I will be glad to help you troubleshoot the problem. Make sure that when you re-mount the transducer, that it is at least 10" from the center of the vee(cored from center out 10"). That is why the transducer is mounted in that inspection hole and not in the step itself. There was some problems with epoxy that was supplied with the transducers and a lot of them came loose from the hull. If this happened to the original owner, it may have been re-attached with an adhesive that does not allow good transmission of the signal. This may explain why it is still secure but not working correctly. I use Marine Tex, be sure to remove current adhesive. My number is 252-975-7048, ask for Chris.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Registered

I'll keep your number and call you the next time I'm with the boat, probably this Sat, thanks for all the help.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Registered

Unsane, that is my work number here at Fountain, and we aren't here on Saturdays. Also if you call with your address, I'll be glad to send you warranty registration info so that the hull warranty can be transferred to your name. I am available from 8:00-5:00 EST Monday-Friday.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Registered

I'm off work today, I'll go over to the storage this afternoon and call you from the boat, thanks.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Registered

I tried to get over to the boat today, but I guess I'm not feeling as good as I thought (mild case of food poisoning or something) I'll get a hold of you when I can get over there during the week. Can I just PM my info to you for the warranty stuff?

Quick Reply: depth gauge not working

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.