depth gauge not working >

depth gauge not working

Notices

depth gauge not working

Old 03-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default depth gauge not working

Well actually it did take one reading for a brief moment. I checked out the transducer in my boat and it looked fine as far as I could tell. I was thinking about replacing it especially at 58 bucks or so. Are there any other tests I can do to make sure the transducer is the culprit?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Re: depth gauge not working

does the display seem to have power? Mine quit working and found a blown inline fuse. Replaced that and seems to be working ok.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:34 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Check to see if the x-ducer has come unseated. If there is air under it you may get no reading. Put enough water in the bilge to submerse the x-ducer and see if you get a reading. If so you would need to remove and re-stick it with no air pockets.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:35 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Unsane, I had a similar problem with mine. Almost always read zero. Sometimes it would work for a short time, then it would hunt up and down. Found out the transducer puck had come loose from the hull even though it looked like it was still epoxied down. If this is the case with yours I think you can reuse it. Hope this helps.
Dave
Old 03-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Registered

Yes unit on dash has power, it did read once for a brief second. I did check the transducer and it appeared to be seated. I'll take another closer look at it and just restick it. Thanks guys!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UNSANE
Yes unit on dash has power, it did read once for a brief second. I did check the transducer and it appeared to be seated. I'll take another closer look at it and just restick it. Thanks guys!
If you have to restick it... make sure that the location (and puck) are clean and then use SLOW setting epoxy... like a half hour or longer... air bubbles in regular fast set epoxy will stay in the epoxy and mess with your puck.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one reading 20 some feet when I'm in 3ft of water... stirring mud. It looks ancient and came w/the boat and will be replaced eventually, but I'd like to figure it out for now. Any ideas?

Box on top right dash... don't remember the brand, it's all tarped up now. Puck in bildge.

Last edited by Underdog88; 08-23-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Registered

one good test would be to get the boat on plain-go as fast as you can towards the beach-when the boat stops -look at the guage-if it reads 0 its working ok.make sure it reads 0 when the boat stops or you may have to recalibrate it alittle
Old 03-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mr mercruiser
one good test would be to get the boat on plain-go as fast as you can towards the beach-when the boat stops -look at the guage-if it reads 0 its working ok.make sure it reads 0 when the boat stops or you may have to recalibrate it alittle

Nice.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Mr Mercruiser. I see how you got your name. Most helpful.
Sometimes you can over look the obvious, that's what makes this tech forum so helpful. You don't get all the bs here like some other forums.

Quick Reply: depth gauge not working

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.