hydraulic helm question >

hydraulic helm question

Notices

hydraulic helm question

Old 03-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default hydraulic helm question

My boat has the "Add on" system, Cable steering to the back of the boat then it goes into a "Brazil" valve and then has the Hydraulic rams on the back of the boat.

What I would like to do is replace the Cable part of this system and convert it to a Full Hydraulic System.
Has anyone done this??
Who all makes the Hydraulic Helms???
What else do I need to change??
Do I need a different Power Steering Pump???
What all ratios does the steering come in???
and of course how much????
Old 03-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: hydraulic helm question

Brad,

East Job..... What cylinders do you have? (Latham, Mayfair...)????

You need:

Helm
Filter
Lines
Fittings
Cooler

Probably less than $1k

I'd use WPM (951)371-8247 they will put a kit together for you with everyting. Bob is a great guy. If you need help with them I can hook you up.

A.B.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Brad,
I am getting ready to do the same thing. I believe what you are looking for is the inside hydraulics kit. You can keep your current rams although I have had people tell me to replace them with something newer than 1986 stuff. IMCO has the best drawings for these. You need a new helm, post, filter, reservoir, HP and LP lines, fittings, and adapters. You can keep your current Power steering pump. Not everyone agrees that a reservoir is needed. The parts are all standard hydraulic parts. I don't believe there are different ratios (there are different volumes of the helm that dictate how many turns of the steering wheel for lock to lock). The most common sized helms are the 120cc and 160cc. Smaller for single rams, larger for big #6 rams, dual pumps, etc. The cost for these kits seem to run around $1000.

IMCO, CP, Hardin, and Warlock Performance are the places I have found the kits so far.

I found a place up near 635 and 29 that carries all of the supplies, so I am checking into their costs vs. a kit.

Here is the IMCO link with the drawing - http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/nev-....html#helm%201

Give me a call if you have any other starter questions. I can tell you who I have called and save you some research time.

Doug
Old 03-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Registered

Andy and Doug, thanks!!!

I believe it is Lathem, and I have an extra set of rams, just in case.

Doug, How is your project coming??? Let me know what you find out about the company in KC that may carry everything.

Thanks again!!
Brad
Old 04-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Registered

Doug, I tried to reply to you by e-mail and PM but it wouldn't let me!!
I'm very interested in the Hydralic steering, and we are ready to do it. Actually we need to do it soon!!! So let me know!!
Do you still have the same cell phone???
Thanks!! Brad
[email protected]
Old 04-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a used Latham Helm and a couple of Latham reservoirs. I have both new and used reservoirs. Also have a couple of steering posts. A used one with a hex shaft for use with a steering wheel quick disconnect and a new one from Latham with trim wires running thru the shaft for use with the Latham wheel with switches. Also have the new Latham wheel with switches.

The hoses and fittings are available from local hydraulics stores or from McMaster-Carr.

Todd
Old 04-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

great thread guys .... I want to convert my cable to hydraulic steering. but for now only on the inside. I was told by a VERY knowledgable Merc mechanic that it can be done. I have a 1989 311 and the inner steering system. it has the new type with no external lines. You can replace the new style with an older style that has external lines and have Hydraulic steering. I am interested it what you guys come up with and wonder what size helm I would need. I would want to have just the inside hydraulics for now and add the external latter .... thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails hydraulic helm question-oldstyle.jpg   hydraulic helm question-newstyle.jpg  
Old 04-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have done it many times and yours can be done also. you don't really need an external resevoir if you have twin rams, (what goes in one comes out of the other). It looks cooler if you have the resevoir. If you wanted to use two pumps ( one on each engine) then putting a fitting into the top of each back to a common resevoir seems to be the way to go. I seem to remember doing the job for about $2000.00 with the labor.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMG
have done it many times and yours can be done also. you don't really need an external resevoir if you have twin rams, (what goes in one comes out of the other). It looks cooler if you have the resevoir. If you wanted to use two pumps ( one on each engine) then putting a fitting into the top of each back to a common resevoir seems to be the way to go. I seem to remember doing the job for about $2000.00 with the labor.
Jim if that was directed my way .... no external Rams for now ...just the internal Steering Assembly ...So without the rams I would need a Resevoir ? Maybe the stock pump resevoir is ok ? What dictates the helm size ? The less turns lock to lock is more difficult to turn ?
Old 04-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help guys!!! Doug pointed me in the right direction.

Doug, Post what you were talking about, the external rams that are on the inside need to me moved to the outside, something about to much stress on one attchment point on the drive.

Last edited by FunHome; 04-10-2006 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: hydraulic helm question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.