the best electric fuel pump

Notices

the best electric fuel pump

Old 04-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts
Default the best electric fuel pump

what the best electric fuel pump for the money,single engine application,two tanks, two returns...........
Old 04-12-2006, 08:26 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: the best electric fuel pump

EFI or Carb?

My experience with electric fuel pumps is that they all work well with return style regulators. Dead head systems are hell on electric pumps and dramatically reduce their stated output.

Dead head systems cause the pumps to run a lot hotter hence more failures especially in closed engine compartment.

I am at 200 hours on on a Holley black marine pump with a return style fuel log with built in regulator, since I switched to return style fuel systems, I have not had an electric pump failure in 12 years.

With the regulator after the fuel log, the fuel pump is not fighting a spring to deliver it's stated fuel load, I see very little fuel pressure variation between idle and WOT.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

thats what i was told, i just plumbed it yesterday with my returns i took my old lines made those my returns.Aeroquipped my new ones.and added a mallory full flow regulator next to my holley black pump...Should i have to modify my regulator at all
Old 04-12-2006, 08:50 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Apart from setting the fuel pressure, I don't think so. My question would be how you are going to handle two tanks and two returns?
Old 04-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

well there are two bungs in the top of each my tanks.both have pick up tubes. one is return one is fuel done in #8 aero. The two feed lines go into a bigfuel filter housing and one #10 comes out and goes to pump,after the pump is the regulator and the returns come out of the bottom of that and go back to the tank. then a #8 feeds the fuel rail for the carb....................let me knoew if i screwed up i am kinda known for that
Old 04-12-2006, 10:15 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Here's the problem.

You are drawing fuel off both tanks at the same time?
You are returning fuel most of the time.
You might return more fuel to one tank than it can hold.

In order to make that work, you have to draw off one tank and return to that same tank at a time as there is no way to ensure that they return equally

That means a valve on each supply line and each return line = complicated.

Mechanical pump with valve on each tank or switching valve might be preferred solution.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I thought of that but if there in pick up tubes they should even out .they both will always be pushing against fuel, i dont think there is any other way of total equalization besides this due you.
Attached Thumbnails the best electric fuel pump-fuel-system.bmp  
Old 04-12-2006, 02:54 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by nocigarette
I thought of that but if there in pick up tubes they should even out .they both will always be pushing against fuel, i don't think there is any other way of total equalization besides this do you.
That is an interesting thought, if both return lines are same length, same fittings, and feeding back through tubes to the bottom of the tank, then it's possible that might work out. I haven't tried it.

Be careful
Old 04-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question?

Do the MPI motors have a return line back to the tank? Or, do they ricirc back to the filter or something. Reason why I ask is:

I just changed out my whole fuel system on my 502. Got rid of the mechanical and electric VST system in exchange for single electric pump. I think its a aeroquip or something like that. The mechanic that did it knows the name. I have a Whipple motor that has the extra injectors.

I need a return line off the fuel rail back to the tank or the fuel filter. I talked with a board member and he recommended running it back to the tank to keep cooler fuel going to the motor. But, I also heard rumors of it being against USCG regulations. I just don't know of the logistics behind it. I do know they make a in line T fitting that you put in your fuel fill line for Teeing in the return line off the fuel rail.

I have not started the new plumbing in the boat, but I'm heading that direction.

Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thanks
Old 04-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

wobble, i think as long as they are in the pickup tubes it has a constant slight back pressure and should equalize itself, i cant be the first guy to due this. heres a pic
Attached Thumbnails the best electric fuel pump-magnum-120.jpg  

Quick Reply: the best electric fuel pump

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.