HD gimbals,HP gimbals ???

Notices

HD gimbals,HP gimbals ???

Old 04-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts
Default HD gimbals,HP gimbals ???

Its my understanding (aside from the new Merc ITS transom assembly) that there are (2) different styles of factory transom assemblies/gimbal rings. One that comes std on all bravo drive equipped boats,it has the little trim indicator electric position indicators on it and the other one that is the hd/hp style,has no provisions for electric indicators,uses mechanical indicators only. My single engine boat has around 950 hp and ft lbs of tq,still has the original year 2000 transom/gimbal assembly with the electric indicators. Even at 350 hours accumulated on it there is no play or slop that I can find top to bottom or side to side from the pins being loose or wore. I am running twin ram hyd steering and have only ran salt water a few times which I've been told extends the life of these things. Ive also been told that I should install the hp assembly for safety reasons as mine may break and send my boat careening out of control. My question is: is the whole hp transom assembly heavier or is it just the gimbal ring/cage that is heavier? At 350 hours with most of them running 650-750 hp and the last 50 running 950 hp should I even be real worried as I don't turn hard at wot and haven't broke anything yet? My last question is has anyone ever seen these hd gimbal rings marketed by chad hill made out of stainless steel? I recently ran acrossed these but have never heard anyone mention it before. Below are several pictures of one. Anyone think putting one of these in with the stock housing would be signifigantly stronger or is the stock housing weak? Thanks for your input and ideas,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails HD gimbals,HP gimbals ???-45_1%5B1%5D.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 04-17-2006, 10:01 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: HD gimbals,HP gimbals ???

IMCO also offers an aftermarket gimbal ring.
http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/sterndrives.html
Old 04-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BAM shows the same pt# for the gimble housing for both the standard and HD gimble ring. The bell housing has different numbers. Possibly just the side pivot mounting method more so than a heavier housing? I don't know.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Re: HD gimbals,HP gimbals ???

I have been told by Fred at Imco that his heavier duty gimbal is offered because the stock Merc ones sometimes fail from cracking or breakage. There is a differance on the heavy duty Merc gimbals down on the re-inforcing points where the pivot pins install and the lower pins install, you can see the diference if you look at both at the same time. I do believe all ITS, XR and Sportmaster Bravo units come with the heavy duty gimbals. I have seen the ones from Imco and they are heavier yet. I am not familiar with these stainless units which should be very strong, but they could be a problem from a dissimilar metals galvanic corrosion issue, especially in salt water.

Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-18-2006, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been told that as long as you are using external steering that you don't have to have the hp gimble.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should have the HD Gimbal as a minimum even if you have external steering if you see quite a bit of "air". A lot of the extra load is from trim loads, not just steering.
If you have the ss solid trim pins (HD gimbal, now uses 4 mounting screws), there was a part number change to the bellhousing, but only because it now has some threaded holes in the side to add the ITS style electronic trim sender (Smartcraft, but can be used with a standard electric gauge with an extra adaper box and is more dependable than the standard rheostat).
Old 04-19-2006, 05:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a brand new HD ring and bell houseing assembly in the box from merc I would like to sell as I dont need it now. can make a good deal on it. I now have complete new I.T.S system. pm me if interested
Old 04-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Smitty,
I had the misfortune of breaking a standard Gimble and bellhousing, ten years ago. I have the scare on my head to prove it and dealt with the closed head injury for several years. So I highly recommend changing to the HP gimble for safety reasons.
At that time I was told that he HP Gimble was cast using a different technique making it stronger. Now whether the standard ones are cast differently or not at this time, I don't know. But the hinge pin arrangement is much improved over the old setup. I had single ram steering when the gimble broke and it caused the boat to spin around in a flat spin. I really dont think I would be here today if the boat would have rolled as witnesses stated that it "started to roll, but then went into a flat spin".

So any improvement in the transom components that will prevent the violent reaction that occurs when things break back there is a good thing!!

Dick
Old 12-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much cosmic i might be interested what all comes with the sale
Old 12-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Smitty
I believe my boat has HD gimbal's. I can take some close up pics if you like.
Jeff

Quick Reply: HD gimbals,HP gimbals ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.