Who makes the best 15" trailer tire?

Notices

Who makes the best 15" trailer tire?

Old 04-19-2006, 11:27 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who makes the best 15" trailer tire?

I've got a triple axel loadmaster trailer under my 10 mtr Fountain. When I purchased it back in 01, it had Carlisle tires on it, size ST 225x75x15, and they say for trailer only, and they are a class D load range, that's about 2450 lbs per tire load capacity, so that's about 5000 lb per axel.
Well, it seems like the threads on all the tires keep seperating because the belts are breaking. I doubt I put more than 1000K miles a year on the trailer, and every year I have to replace atleast 2 tires. These tires don't last 5000K miles without coming apart, hell 3000 miles!!!
It's a real pain in the azz to go to the lake and findout that you have a baseball size blister in a tire when you get to the boat launch. And I only live about 15 miles from the launch, so I don't put that many miles on it each year.

Has anyone else here had problems with Carlisle brand tires? They tell me that the warranty period is only 90 days.

Do you think I'd be better off running a LT type tire, like from a SUV?

The LT tires that I've found in size LT 225x75x15, are only a class C load range.

Don't know if I should keep buying a new tire whenever one goes bad, or scrap all of them and try something else.

The trailer does'nt have alot of tire clearance to the fenders or I would put a bigger tire on it. So I'm limited to keep a smaller diameter tire on it like the 225's. A 235 would probablly work. The tires are radials.

Want some suggestions on what you would do.

Thanks for the help...............Frank
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 04-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Who makes the best 15" trailer tire?

Frank,

I have always had great luck with Carlise trailer tires. My boats have been considerable lighter than yours, that I guess would be the difference. I have read alot of guys running the Goodyear Marthons with good luck. My new trailer has these on it so I am going to give them a try,
Old 04-20-2006, 05:59 AM
Registered

This is only from I've read. Alot of people have had alot of problems with Carlisles. Alot of people have had good luck with Marathons, although recently I've read people having problems with them as well. Two brands I would look into would be Towmaster and Maxxis. Maxxis can found at Greenball.com. As far as Towmaster do a search. Towmasters came on my latest trailer purchase. i can not vouch for them yet as I've not received my new boat yet, thank you Mr. boat manufacture. Two months late now. I would look into these brands and scrap your current tires and save yourself aggravation. Just a though.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always used Goodyear Marathon and had good service with them. I have a 33 Outlaw with Trip Axle Roadrunner.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:35 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

I got Goodyear Marathons that are at least 5 years old on my trailer. I tow about 45 miles twice a year. Then about 300 yards from the barn to the ramp.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:34 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Goodyear Marathons for 17 years and have towed thousands of miles over the eastern half of the country with a car carrier and boat trailer and never a problem.
Just keep them property inflated. I also cover them in the winter to protect them from UV rays.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Registered

steel 16" trailer wheels are $25 each- go buy 7, and then buy 7 235-85R16E tires which can be bought for under $100, if you shop, around and never look back
Old 04-20-2006, 10:50 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

That's for all your comments. I'd go with the 16's in a heartbeat, but I don't have the fender clearance for a taller tire. There is a radius in the fender that goes around the top of each tire, and it seems like they put the axels pretty close together, so a taller tire is out of the question unless I want to do some major revamping to the trailer. I'm gonna look into the Marathons by goodyear.

Thanks for all your input.
Frank
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 04-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Registered

carlisles suck. do a search. there was a thread at one point, who got the SHORTEST distance on a carlisle. I think it was 10 miles or so. Ive never had good luck with any of the carlisles i run.

Ive only heard good about the goodyear marathons however.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Registered

here it is

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...isles+shortest

Quick Reply: Who makes the best 15" trailer tire?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.