496 sea water pump

Notices

496 sea water pump

Old 05-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 496 sea water pump

Originally Posted by Ridinred
Been lurking for some time now and have received lots of helpful advice. So, thanks to all that have posted their efforts for the rest of us to gain from.
Anyway, just put a new impeller in too. loads of fun! I would think Merc could come up with a better design or easier access.
Question is:
Can you hook up a hose to the Bravo 1x to test run? it has the littlest pick up holes in the worst location.
Tape the low water pickup holes, and install standard ear muffs on the side water pickup...
For the 496's, my advice is to NOT run it on a hose... Get the boat to a ramp and test the engine there... The sea water system is a poor design on the 496's
Old 05-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's hard to get good water pressure on just the hose. I put on the standard earmuffs, duct tape the lower pickup holes (don't forget to remove when your done) turn the hose up all the way. I hit the kill switch and crank the engine for several seconds (without starting) and then disengage the kill switch and start it up. I think this helps get the oil going a little, especially in the spring. I can tell that my exhaust risers are a bit warmer to the touch on the hose compared to when your on the water.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridinred
Been lurking for some time now and have received lots of helpful advice. So, thanks to all that have posted their efforts for the rest of us to gain from.
Anyway, just put a new impeller in too. loads of fun! I would think Merc could come up with a better design or easier access.
Question is:
Can you hook up a hose to the Bravo 1x to test run? it has the littlest pick up holes in the worst location.
What was the condition of the pump parts. How many hours on the pump and what kind of water do you run in ie clear, muddy, beach on sandy shores, salt, etc.?
Old 05-16-2006, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JS232
Changed mine yesterday, top and back brass plates were slightly scored (really light scores). I figured it would not harm so I replaced the impeller. The old impeller was in good shape, it had only lost it's flexibility.

Are you saying that as soon as you see scores, no matter the degree it should be machined and brassed?

Here is a picture of the situation:

Splashed the boat Sunday, pump works great...