Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Arizona Speed & Marine Ingenious????????? >

Arizona Speed & Marine Ingenious?????????

Notices

Arizona Speed & Marine Ingenious?????????

Old 07-18-2007, 02:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by ghittner; 07-18-2007 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Delete
Old 07-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Registered

I won't buy a hose clamp from AS&M. They said my ECM's were reprogrammed until I blew a motor and had Tyler reprogram them for me who said they still had the Merc lock and program in them......
Old 07-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Registered

Hey 29 kilroy what type of problem did you have with AZ speed. I just had a problem with my boat. What kit did yu have from them?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:52 AM
Registered

Well I bought my boat from a guy on Havasu and AS&M did a 454 upgrade on it, IMCO Exhaust, MSD, Fuel Regs., K&N Air Cleaners and ECM's reprogrammed. When I bought the boat and had it shipped here the first thing I did was call them about the ECM programs and make sure they would be okay. They said it will be 100% fine even with it being cooler in NY. I know enough about motors but nothing about programming ECM's. Well I just had a piston run lean, skuff the block and burn the Exhaust valve. I have since had HTG Racing put together a Tyler motor package. When I set the box to Tyler he called and said I thought you said AS&M programmed the boxes? I said yes, Tyler said they still had the Merc. lock on them and Factory program. He couldn't believe a motor didn't fail before it did.....Well I can't believe I thought this but seconded guessed who I bought it from. He gave me the original reciept that listed all the parts and labor and on the fourth line down (2) Electronic Control Unit modified totaling $900 dollars.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you think Tyler has Mercruisers password to know for sure? Anyone that can do this can put their own password in it and lock it. There are enough threads around with toasted engines that he has programmed with plenty of reasons it wasn't the programming. BS -

See this post - http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=163919

IMCO Exhaust, MSD, Fuel Regs., K&N Air Cleaners are no reason to reprogram. Its really easy, lean it out to make more hp and when one parameter is slightly wrong - BANG!

Put it on a dyno and see for yourself, it will be the best money you spend on the project.

Last edited by 800XCR; 07-20-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Registered

I am only going by what I was told and have now reason to believe other wise. Hell, call AS&M on the phone and tell me if you think they know what they are doing....

Again I don't know anything about the actual programming of an ECM but for me anytime you modify something from Fac. specs you should be chnaging the ECM.

I agree the Dyno is the best way of knowing but Tyler has built enough of these he didn't feel I needed too. Between HTG and Tyler I am running 81 on GPS @ 5500 against the Rev. limiters so with a new set of 28's at my door today, I am hoping for a couple more mph's if I can get the rpms down to 5200 .
Old 07-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't trust AS&M either. I hope all works out for you.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Registered

29 Kilroy I have twin 496 ho's in my boat . The speed kit were already installed. I had the # 1 cylinder run bolw a chunk of piston off,tearing up my valves. I noticed while tearing down the motor,that the computer has az speed sticker on it. How many hours did yours blow. Now I'am wondering if I should scrape these parts.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Registered

Sorry to hear about your luck but mine did the samething. Mine didn't have a sticker on it but they billed him for it and when I called they said sometimes they don't out stickers on...... The guy I bought it from didn't know enough about boats to even think about buying different ECM's before I bought it so I know that didn't happen.

I am not in anyway trying to bash them, I am just stating what my experinece has been and hoping I can help someone else. Just get all of the facts before buying.....
Old 07-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Registered

Which cylinder was it for you? how many hours were on it before it went??

Quick Reply: Arizona Speed & Marine Ingenious?????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.