Water pressure question - erratic readings >

Water pressure question - erratic readings

Notices

Water pressure question - erratic readings

Old 05-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Water pressure question - erratic readings

How big is the Teague one? They don't have much on their website. How well does it work? What's the p/n?

Originally Posted by zt260
Teague custom marine has some. It's a brass pressure relief valve that is adjustable from 15-30 psi. I have mine on the sea strainer, and it works perfect. It was under $100
Lots of Marine companies make these things, and the price varies widely.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call them, it's about the size of a cell phone. They will know exactly what your looking for.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Registered

I called teague. The biggest they have is 3/4" male pipe. The valve was $78, the fitting to install it was $41. plus shipping.

Hope this does the trick.

The guy at teague said this is not generally used for engine water, it's used for intercoolers. He said with my water pickup that there was no way i should be getting this kind of pressure. He said the pump will never pump that much pressure, and that with the water pickup on my bravo, water does not get forced in, so i shouldn't have that much pressure. But it's a brand new mechanical gauge, and the gauge i had on there last year gave me similar readings. So WTF.

I'll screw with it this weekend and see what kind of readings i get in what conditions. Who knows, maybe something else is wrong and i just wasted $120.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought one from Teague a couple yrs ago. Spent alittle over $100 for the valve, adapter and shipping. It didn't help my problem. But at that time they only had the 1/2" valve. That valve was a WATTS brand valve that can be bought way cheaper elsewhere. The adjustable ratings are way higher than what we want, but that's what I recieved, except Teague took a magic marker and placed a mark on it. The markings on the valve where way over rated according to my pressure gauge, so not sure what's up with that.

pt# 530C

http://www.watts-regulator.com/scripts/pro-products.watts?_cfg=./db/pro-products.cfg&_fil=cat2%3d'Pressure_Only_Relief%20V alves'.and.cat1%3d'Relief_Valves'.and.div%3d'_wate rsafety-flowcontrol'&_sn=pro-products&_tar=_view5_watersafety-flowcontrol

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 05-04-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Registered

Well hopefully the 3/4" will flow enough water for me. The guy at teague said that this can be set at either 15 psi or 25 psi. I asked if it was continuously adjustable or if it was just those two pressures, he said just those two pressures. We'll see when it shows up. I'll be kind of pissed if it's a $10 valve with magic marker writing on it.

I have a totally stock setup, i don't know why i should be seeing such high pressure. But i don't want to screw up my motor so if this works, it's cheap insurance.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is adjustable, but that was 2 years ago. It is a 3/4 inch fitting though. The valve is really only a standard pressure relief valve that teague marinized, with stainless parts. Like I said it works well for me.

As you know I would check that gauge. Also think about adding a sea strainer. Then you can just relieve pressure at the strainer.

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
Well hopefully the 3/4" will flow enough water for me. The guy at teague said that this can be set at either 15 psi or 25 psi. I asked if it was continuously adjustable or if it was just those two pressures, he said just those two pressures. We'll see when it shows up. I'll be kind of pissed if it's a $10 valve with magic marker writing on it.

I have a totally stock setup, i don't know why i should be seeing such high pressure. But i don't want to screw up my motor so if this works, it's cheap insurance.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Who knows, maybe something else is wrong and i just wasted $120.
Yes you did. I would have tried the $5 thermostat first
Old 05-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zt260
The valve is really only a standard pressure relief valve that teague marinized, with stainless parts.
According to the specs, it is brass and SS. If we are talking about teh same WATTS valve.
I think the 3/4" is the ticket. The 1/2" they sold me was too small as I could open it all the way and I still had too much pressure. But they said it was what they use, so I bought it. They were wrong in my case.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:15 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried the straval valve yet, Phil?

What part number did they recommend?
I have not tried their valve as of yet, I am experimenting with a design of my own. I have an 05 BravoX with the hi & lo water pickups, I have the intake running to a fair sized bronze strainer then to the exchanger. I found that at speed Low compared to most of you guys the pressure was great enough to force water out from under the strainers cap, the temp fix was to crank the top down way tighter then I like. What I am experimenting with is a standard brass check valve right after the strainer, my theory is the pump will pump what ever it needs but when the pressure passes what the pump can demand it will un seat the check valve and dump the overage overboard. I will let you know if it works, it may just be spit in the wind. Like mentioned above the pressure within the block should not exceed about 30 psi, if it does the head gaskets will weep. Rarely does it bother much except rust the side of the block, but I fell over time it will hurt the machined surface. You can do a little experiment on your own to see how the pressure builds in a raw cooled system, put 1 layer of masking tape around the circ pump hose overlap it so it is stuck to its self good, go for a high speed run when you slow down you will see the tape has snapped/torn what ever, it will show you that the circ pump hose swells from the pressure. Anyway if my Gizmo works I will plumb it to a shower cap for the drive.
What I have seen on one fellows boat was relief valves in both of the riser feed lines going to outboard dumps. Transom pickups develop very high pressures at high speed, it was stated by one of the D.net members that 100psi can be seen at I believe he said 75-80mph, relieving the pressure is a big issue.

Phil
Old 05-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by birdog
Yes you did. I would have tried the $5 thermostat first
a thermostat won't solve the pressure problem. when the thermostat opened, the pressure dropped to 25 until the pressure in teh rest of the block equalized, then about 5 seconds later the gauge was pegged again.

besides, thermostat opened or closed i don't want to see that much pressure. the thermostat was closing, because i was running 160 degrees in about 40 degree water, and it was opening, because i was only running 160 degrees. somewhere in there, the pressure maxed out my gauge. And running without any thermostat is not an option if you like to extend your boating season in Michigan.

Quick Reply: Water pressure question - erratic readings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.