Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Gas puking out vent while on trailer? >

Gas puking out vent while on trailer?

Notices

Gas puking out vent while on trailer?

Old 05-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas puking out vent while on trailer?

Its been doing this for years. Only when I have it parked at my building on the trailer. I thought someone was pouring crap on my boat until it happened while I was standing there.
Just pouring out the vent on the ground while I'm standing there. I have a rag in it which directs the fuel down instead of running doun the side of the boat. What can I do? Thanks JC
Old 05-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

Default Re: Gas puking out vent while on trailer?

Where was the fuel level in the tank when it does this? Mine will do this if I fill the tank completly full and then allow it to sit very long without running it. Most fuel is stored in tanks underground where it is cool and then it expands in your boat fuel tank shortly after refilling. It has to go somewhere. If your fuel level was anything but full I dont know. Does the boat sit leaned to that side when parked? Does it happen after running it? Hope you find it. We all want to burn it. Not let it leak out!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Registered

Doesn't lean, I dont remember how full it is. Have not run it yet. I would say it does happen when its full. I thought maybe it was the sun heating up and expanding. I just looked, and the vent tube runs next to the gas tube and theres at least 3 feet it has to climb straight up. If its full at least I have some cheaper gas to burn, except its old. thanks. JC
Old 05-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Registered

if you filled the tank when it was cold it will expand as the temps go up and over flow out the vent
Old 05-02-2006, 12:00 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

They make a one way valve just for that. It go's in line with the vent hose, and allows venting but no fuel to get out. They come stock in Stingray boats.
Here is a link.
inline fuel vent spill prevention

There's some expensive ones but the one that was in my Stingray boat was the Attwood Model #1675; retails for $23.99. It has to be installed Vertically to work.

Last edited by Kanookstr; 05-02-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:32 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds too full.. A vent valve also may not be a bad idea...
Old 05-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Registered

Mine did that too. The problem I found was the vent tube ran off the top of the tank and then was routed down below the top of the tank before it went up to the vent and any fuel that would collect in that low point would blow out of the vent if the tank was near full and it sat for a while in the hot sun.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Registered

I put a vent check valve in an older boat i had to try and stop the pucking out the vent when i was filling. after adding it, it would shoot the full out the filler neck when i was filling..... that sucked.....
Old 05-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Registered

The valve sounded like a great idea, until I read that last one. Mine pukes out the vent every time I fill it, and I can sometimes get 20 more gallons in after that. Its a long finnese to get it full. I dont think I can easily get to the hose at the tank but I'll check.Cant imagine I put it away that full. And I have dropped it off here after a weekend on St. clair where I know it wouldn't be full. Thanks for all your help. JC
Old 05-03-2006, 10:04 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

I had a similar problem, went with a bigger diameter vent hose, now it just spits a little right when the tank reaches full.

I used a fitting to neck-up the hose size just above the tank and then another to neck-down for the hull fitting.

I also found that the fill hose had a slight kink going through a bulkhead due to it being a few inches too long. Replaced that with new.

Quick Reply: Gas puking out vent while on trailer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.