Exhaust Riser gasket change

Notices

Exhaust Riser gasket change

Old 05-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust Riser gasket change

Thanks,

I got the same manifolds out of aluminum...
Old 05-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Registered

Actually... he didn't even mention a straight edge.

He just said that if there are any paint runs or sags to file them down.

Kind of a drag though... as much as he knows about performance he doesn't know too much about shipping.

When I ordered he said that they would come Friday. (today)
One came yesterday, (thursday) when I asked if the rest were back ordered... he said no.. they must be on a different truck.

So... they didn't come today... so I called DHL.

They are still in transit and won't be here until Tuesday.

I think that I would rather have not gotten ONE of FOUR in one week and the other three the next week.

So... when Dennis says "Friday before the holiday"
He means "You'll get one... but the rest won't come until after the holiday."

My advice to anyone ordering from Dennis would be add a week to what he tells you and if he says that he sent the whole order at once.... well... um... sure.

I would have been happier if he would have just told me that they would be here next week so I could have made other plans.
This is my busy season at work. I am trying to get a 7 hour broadcast produced and on the air by next Sunday.

Oh well.

I'll just wait a few days Moore.

The bummer is that this pushes my launch back to sometime after June 10.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Registered

Fund Razor,

Bummer about the shipping. I don't think its his fault. DHL actually lost half of my order. I got 1 set 2 days early and I think DHL still lists the other set in transit to me. Dennis was real helpful and sent out another kit so I'm good. I wasn't terribly impressed w / DHL tracking. They kept telling me they could update the delivery date the next time the box was scanned. Problem is the last time I checked, it was last scanned in California and is probably already installed on someone elses boat.

Anyway, not to overkill this question, did he say to get rid of the paint on the surface between the manifold and riser. I actually have paint chipped off PART of the surface of 1 of the risers.

This area did kill at least 1 of my old engines.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Island Time
Fund Razor,

Bummer about the shipping. I don't think its his fault. DHL actually lost half of my order. I got 1 set 2 days early and I think DHL still lists the other set in transit to me. Dennis was real helpful and sent out another kit so I'm good. I wasn't terribly impressed w / DHL tracking. They kept telling me they could update the delivery date the next time the box was scanned. Problem is the last time I checked, it was last scanned in California and is probably already installed on someone elses boat.

Anyway, not to overkill this question, did he say to get rid of the paint on the surface between the manifold and riser. I actually have paint chipped off PART of the surface of 1 of the risers.

You are right. I didn't mean to be TOO harsh on the guy. I know that he is a stand up guy and I don't mean to bash too much. My only request of Dennis would be to be a little less optomistic when he gives shipping times. That's all. I have a lot of respect for the guy. I would have been fine if he told me next week. I just would have planned differently.

DHL... another story.

Anyway... here's what I am hearing about the paint:

Dennis: "They are ok painted. If you see any paint drips or sags or anything you can go ahead and file that area down. You do not have to remove the paint."

McCollinstn: "Remove the paint. Use a heat gun and a tool that will not dig in to the iron. Then use a straight edge and file the mating surface until flat. Flat flat. Then coat both mating surfaces and the gasket (both sides) with Perma Tex brand Copper Spray a Gasket. Let that tack up for 20 minutes and then install."
He also explained the history of the file. Modern Marvels meets email.

(MC is a very specific dude. I love that.)

And of course there are the folks on this thread.

Like Wobble. ("It's all about the torque and the re-torque. Paint Schmaint.")

I liked this answer because it had much less steps than McCollinstn. His answer had me buying something called a "12 inch bastard mill file." And learning how to use it.

That sounded like a lot of work for a new manifold. But I'll bet 50 bucks that his don't leak.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Registered

You mean that your OLD riser caused a failure not your NEW riser......

right???
Old 05-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Island Time
Fund Razor,

Ditto about DHL. If i was to bet, I would bet that it is DHL's fault. About 1 year ago, parts for work were shipped from Europe to the jobsite. We were told 3 days or so delivery, depending on customs. 3 weeks goes by, and we track it down. Finally we call the DHL hub in Austin TX, and they were sitting there for 2 weeks!!! They said the packages were too big for a standard truck, so they did not deliver them. At this point, I was a wee bit ticked, and asked why they did not call to tell us that!

The kicker is, we got a flatbed, drove up there, and the packages were 5 boxes about 2 ' cubed. I guess thats too big for DHL...

Had we never called DHL, I'd bet they'd still be sitting there.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Registered

Fund Razor / jmherbert,

Track your shipment and Dennis should take care of you...He did for me. If it looks like the package is in the same place for a long time...Its lost. DHL called and tried to help but their tracking system is just not there. They kept telling me to wait till it was scanned. If a package is moving, it will be scanned at least once a day. My package sat in the same place for more than a week.

Thanks for the info on the paint. I am still building my new engines so the problem was clearly with the old manifolds/risers. As far as the seal, I usually listen to everyones opinions, read every book I can find, and decide what to do from there.

A good quality Powder coat will probably need to be filed off. The epoxy stuff we use, I can hit with a hammer and It will not chip off. (Salt Water won't have a chance but it's not going help my oil temp) I found a composite seal from Osco I like that is a low durometer stainless composite for the riser gasket. Its not going to leak! I will to re-torque after several runs too.

Still want to know if you pick up any top end with the new stuff
Old 05-27-2006, 05:21 AM
Registered

Thanks I.T.

I am curious about the top end too. (Not why I'm doing the job of course.)

I actually thought about switching to aluminum intakes while the boat was down and the blocks were partially torn down, but I don't want to change too much stuff at once. I kind of want to see what the difference is with just the manifold/riser change.

I am thinking that these 21 year old manifolds have gained MUCHO weight over the years. Funny thing is that the boat is only 19. The boat is an 87. The manifolds and risers are date stamped 1985.

Thanks for the DHL input too guys.

I don't think that mine are lost. I just think that Friday was not a realistic estimate. I would be very surprised if they don't come on Tuesday. And if they don't... I'll get with DHL.

At least as of Friday DHL could find them in their system and it said that they were in transit and expected delivery is 5/30.

Back on the paint issue: I really don't want to put a bunch of labor into prep on these bad boys... but I am considering removing the paint.

Probably doesn't matter, and that's why I got different opinions.

It is not a high quality powder coat type paint, it's just some spray paint to cover the iron. Could probably wipe it off the mating surface with laquer thinner.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:29 AM
Registered

This is interesting:

My OMC manifold logs have a second (lower) hose outlet/inlet at the bottom front of the manifold below the main hose inlet for the water coming from the thermostat riser. It's just capped.

The new ones don't have that opening at all.

The old ones only used 10 out of 12 manifold mounting studs because the forward most threaded hole in the block was covered by that hose connection. So... the old manifolds were all missing the forward-most stud.
All were bolted on with 5 out of 6.

Now I am ordering 4 new studs so that I can bolt them in with all 6.

Those guys who are very concerned with torque sequence and warpage will probably have a cow that one stud was completely missing in each manifold.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:35 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The need to be tightened center out just like heads, but do it with more steps. Many do not torque exhaust, the OMC spec is fairly low, 23-SB 24-454 26-502

Phil

Quick Reply: Exhaust Riser gasket change

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.