throttle cable adjustment

Notices

throttle cable adjustment

Old 05-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: throttle cable adjustment

I just replaced the crappy 3000 in mine. The throttle advance finally hung up and left me without F or R. Luckily I was about 15' from the dock about to head back out!

I replaced it with the newer 4000 Gen II and it's sooo much nicer!!!

As for cable adjustment, that's easy. I can't tell form your picture, but you should be able to adjust that "barrel" on the end of the cable. I think you'll want to adjust it towards the rear to take up slack. Remove the bolt (not where it connects to the throttle at the very end of the cable, leave that alone) pull the cable away enough to screw/move the barrel a little bit at a time until it's right. It doens't take much adjustment. The throttle shouldn't move at all until after you move the shifter out of the detent after it's in gear. You can test my putting it in gear and seeing that nothing moves until you advance the throttle from there.

I had to adjust mine the other way slightly but I had to replace both throttle and shift control cables to the new Gen II style.

Replacing it was pretty easy if you don't consider access to the wiring etc. Mine wasn't that bad, but ever boat is different. I wish I could have gone with a console mount, but the new 4000 is so sweet compared to the 3000!!