454 parts selection ??'s >

454 parts selection ??'s

Notices

454 parts selection ??'s

Old 06-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 454 parts selection ??'s

Good posts. Thanks. Always interesting to hear the results. Had a good long ride yesterday, so staying motivated on hte project.

Haven't heard anything on the block. Hope I don't have to strip down my backup cores.

Bought 496 manifolds and elbows last week. Even scored a spare set of manifolds, all brand new in the deal. About $800 for all.

Birddog, throw some prices out if you want...
or email direct rboiros at yahoo dot com (insert appropriate symbols).

Rick
($3.659 a gallon really sucks....)
Old 11-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Registered

Revisiting this thread. Been on the slow track all summer. Block is bored 0.020. Found a forged crank for $60 (yes, sixty) and turned it 0.010/0.010.

Machinist is putting together an internal engine kit with forged pistons. Recommendation is a Melling marine grind # 22219 cam (224 intake and exhaust duration at .510 lift).

Went with the 049 heads. Still looking for 9:1 compression.

Any feedback on cam selection? I haven't been bale to find much info.

Thanks in advance.

Rick
Old 11-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Registered

Check my first post on this thread. Call Bob Madera at Marine Kinetics, 586-654-8583 and do it right the first time. Also, take this important advice, change to a roller cam. With the poor quality of flat tappet lifters, and the reduced zinc and moly in motor oils flat tappet cams are becoming a real headache to keep healthy. I'm just trying to help you out!
Old 11-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Registered

OK. I will do that. Thanks again. Guess I was trying to take the easy way out... (And putting the responsibility on one shop for component selection / warranty).

You make an excellent point on lubrication. Two supporting pieces of evidence: local good (non chain) parts store guy into marine stuff said run valvoline racing oil. Many new oils (as you say) took out the 'good stuff'. Other piece of evidence is the 72 truck 454 I just disassembled with a severly worn cam and lifters rounded off on the bottom!

Rick
Old 11-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Registered

The Valvoline Racing oil recommendation is only partly correct. The Valvoline Racing that comes right off the shelf is not the stuff you want. The "good stuff" you usually have to order because it is not street legal. It is for off road use only. It still has all the additives that you really need for flat tappet cams. It is a full synthetic oil. You can order it through NAPA stores. It is about $6.50 a quart.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Registered

Good point. Wonder if other synthetics are as good?

Also thanks again for pointing me to Bob at Marine Kinetics. Spoke to him Friday and will be working up a build sheet. Full roller is not in the budget, unfortunately.

Seems our builds will be quite similar according to Bob.

Rick
Old 04-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Registered

Default Now Bravo outdirve selections

Waking up this thread. Engine is finally in, started and initial break in last weekend! All went pretty smooth just lots of $$$ and parts.

Put a Marine Kinetics cam in thanks to this board. Idles nice too.

Went with full fresh water cooling and engine driven raw water pump. Engine is balanced and running roller rockers.

Now I'm looking for some good info on Bravo outdrives. Want to start collecting parts if / when the inevitable happens to the (don't laugh) Alpha drive. (It's lasted this long and does not get abused).

So.... Bravo I or II? III is probably out of the question (cost). Want to hunt and collect used parts. How about gear ratio?

Any help, input, links, sites with conversion info etc etc would be much appreciated.

Price ranges on used stuff? Anyone in New England selling?

Thanks for all the input so far.

Rick
Old 04-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

There was an ALPHA SS posted Sunday for $1,500 by me. That will bolt right up with no changes.