Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Rebuild Holley 650's or buy new Edelbrocks?? >

Rebuild Holley 650's or buy new Edelbrocks??

Notices

Rebuild Holley 650's or buy new Edelbrocks??

Old 05-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild Holley 650's or buy new Edelbrocks??

Buddy of mine is trying to get his Holley 650's rebuilt, seems alot of people dont want to touch them and if so the price is a bit high......
Should he have them rebuilt, and if so any Michigan recommendations would be great or should he just buy some new Edlebrocks? thanks for the input and opinions..
Old 05-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rebuild Holley 650's or buy new Edelbrocks??

Gellner says Barry Grants are better but i think that depends on engine setups. Says they have shown 20hp gains on he dyno as well.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't take this incorrectly but if the Holley is good enough to rebuild without further problems I wouldn't use the other even to plant a flower in it. I've used them and tunned them till the cows came home and you put a Holley on there and gain 20 hp hands down . The Holley is the way to go and I also agree with the other post BG is good stuff. Here is a pic of a blower motor we just finished with BG's and we threw them on there jet up and it runs awesome bsfc numbers great all the way across the board no other work. Best of luck to you Sincerely Laz
Attached Thumbnails Rebuild Holley 650's or buy new Edelbrocks??-hpim0953.jpg  
Old 05-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Registered

I just took an old Holley 450 that I bought on Ebay to get rebuild today.

I am running a 6117 Carter on my old Nova with a 302, and it is just too much carb. Carter/ Edelbrocks are great carbs. More reliable and durable than a Holley, I would submit.

However, I may be willing to concede the power advantage to the Holleys.

Action Carburetor Service at 15 mile and Groesbeck in Fraser. $195 for a rebuild. They did 2 for me before, and I took a third back there today. You can look their phone # up on the net.

They re-did an old 2 bbl Rochester that I had to soak in motor oil for me 2 summers ago. I did have to make an adjustment to the float to get it to not flood--due to the angle the motor sits in vs. the flat test bench. BUT they went through it a couple of times and even went through an old Holley 2bbl that I had around free of charge to make it right. They didn't have the boat to test the Rochester on, so I guess I can't totally fault them for the float thing. But I didn't even call anyone else today! I really felt that they took care of me.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Registered

Buddy talked to Action, quted him $195 like you said and said 2-3 day turn around. Not bad, and local....
Old 05-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Registered

I'm going to pick mine up tomorrow! Hopefully I'll have it back in the water by late afternoon. Last time I looked, they were about the cheapest local deal, and like I said, they took care of my problem.