Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
my bravo outdrive gear experiment >

my bravo outdrive gear experiment

Notices

my bravo outdrive gear experiment

Old 07-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smitty, sorry we missed you at St. Clair. We did have a beer with Bob Madera. Have you looked into the gold coating, titanium nitride I think it's called? It is used on cutting tools and is very hard. It's known to extend cutting tool life 300%. It's also very common and inexpesive. I agree, there's only so much a lube can do. Any of the good synthetics is probably good.

Last edited by PatriYacht; 08-02-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you test RedLine Shock Proof Gear Lube, 'Heavy' grade and if you did what was its effect on top speed compared to the other gear lubes you tried? Any other observations regarding the RedLine Shock Proof Gear Lube?

Originally Posted by articfriends
I have tried virtually every synthetic gear oil,something about synthetic gear oils and motor oils that most people don't know is alot of times the oil is actually a straight weight oil and just happens to meet the cold/hot viscosity index reading because they meet the specs for the hot oil viscosity and still flow well enough cold to meet the lower rating. My oil isn't suffering visosity "breakdown" as it usually looks like new and is not burn't )I change it very often). Anyways,From the most Exspensive top secret stuff to el cheapo royal purple,I have not found any that made a real difference in gear life,just that I lose measurable top end speed with thicker (140 weight) oil. I will be testing new additions to the current gear finish I have already had good luck with soon (after finally finishing my motor for the season I should have boat back in water tommorrow),I plan on using royal purple 75/90 for now,Smitty
Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Smitty?
Old 08-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
Did you test RedLine Shock Proof Gear Lube, 'Heavy' grade and if you did what was its effect on top speed compared to the other gear lubes you tried? Any other observations regarding the RedLine Shock Proof Gear Lube?
I have not used Redline heavy grade shockproof oil so I can not say anything good or bad based on first hand experience,Smitty
Old 08-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:46 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Smitty, I got the drive back together and on the boat today. Hope to try the new gears out next weekend. Here's one of the old gears.
Attached Thumbnails my bravo outdrive gear experiment-xr-gears.jpg  
Old 08-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
Smitty, I got the drive back together and on the boat today. Hope to try the new gears out next weekend. Here's one of the old gears.
Thats pretty nasty looking,I hope this treatment helps your gear life. At 1400 plus hp though you might be a prime candidate for the next step which we are still working on or we may find that at your power level there is just nothing that will help but I have my fingers crossed. Did you tear the upper down to clean the metal out? Smitty
Old 08-06-2007, 03:49 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I wasn't running 14 through those gears, I only got 2 passes at Alum Creek when it was turned up. Anything is worth a shot, let me know when you have a couple of sets ready to ship. Thanks
Old 03-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Smitty how the gear holding up

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Registered

He's doing 2 sets of lower gears for my -2 IMCO's

Quick Reply: my bravo outdrive gear experiment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.