my bravo outdrive gear experiment

Notices

my bravo outdrive gear experiment

Old 06-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 867 Likes on 403 Posts
Default Re: my bravo outdrive gear experiment

Thanks,I am putting a stellings ext box on my boat over the next week or 2,started sunday night on it. Before i pulled the drive off,I pulled the prop shaft as I am also going to put the heat treated gears in when it goes back together. I haven't dissassembled the lower completely yet but as soon as I do I will take pics of the stock xr gears I put in last fall,I can see they haven't broke thru the hardness yet but are galling. They have about 10-15 hours on them,with a little time at wot,Smitty
Old 06-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some aftermarket driveshafts act like torsion bars to twist and absorb shock. I have a few Imco shafts like this that are necked down. BBB
Old 06-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
My biggest concern would be adding a return line to the tank, how can you do that without emtying the tank and cleaning it if you are tapping a fitting into it?
I received a good suggestion that worked well for me. Stainless Marine makes a tee fitting that goes in the fuel tank fill hose, with a 3/8" barb connector for this purpose. They sell both a 1 1/2" and 2" o.d. part. The fill hose on my Velocity is 1 1/2" and this made a very simple way to return the regulator bypass fuel back to the tank.

By the way, I've got an Aeromotive 11104 Eliminator fuel pump for sale with only 10 hours on it. It was too much capacity for my application and I had to drop down to an 11101 to get the pressure under control.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 867 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Block Billy
Some aftermarket driveshafts act like torsion bars to twist and absorb shock. I have a few Imco shafts like this that are necked down. BBB
Unfortunately my motor can't be moved a full inch up to get perfect alignment with gimbal with +1 setting on stellings box other wise I'd eliminate the stellings carrier bearing and use one,Smitty
Old 06-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Escape Velocity
I received a good suggestion that worked well for me. Stainless Marine makes a tee fitting that goes in the fuel tank fill hose, with a 3/8" barb connector for this purpose. They sell both a 1 1/2" and 2" o.d. part. The fill hose on my Velocity is 1 1/2" and this made a very simple way to return the regulator bypass fuel back to the tank.

By the way, I've got an Aeromotive 11104 Eliminator fuel pump for sale with only 10 hours on it. It was too much capacity for my application and I had to drop down to an 11101 to get the pressure under control.
Heres what I did
Attached Thumbnails my bravo outdrive gear experiment-hustler-insatll-3-15-06-035-medium-2-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason the gears are failing is as mentioned above. The base material is soft. The outer case hard material is only in most cases .050 of an inch thick. The base material gives way or moves from presure causing the hard surface to micro fracture which will then in time fail. The cryo process will only remove stresses caused from machining. Your best bet is to coat the gears. You must use a cold coat process but there are a few out there that will give you a 93+ rockwell. There are some new materials on the market that may flame or quench harden that may be better suited, but the cost would be substantial.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by michigan troll
The reason the gears are failing is as mentioned above. The base material is soft. The outer case hard material is only in most cases .050 of an inch thick. The base material gives way or moves from presure causing the hard surface to micro fracture which will then in time fail. The cryo process will only remove stresses caused from machining. Your best bet is to coat the gears. You must use a cold coat process but there are a few out there that will give you a 93+ rockwell. There are some new materials on the market that may flame or quench harden that may be better suited, but the cost would be substantial.
micro fracture and micro welding the same thing?

I was told that how they fail the surface of the gear starts failing /welding from the EP and the surface starts breaking /eating away making the gear fail. Dean at the Bravo shop on his B-Max's is coating his gears in the same manner and he said his rockwell is in the 90's. The Bravo Shop is coming out with a helical cut lower gear set that will give 3 teeth of contact over the one tooth of contact of the stock Bravo gears .That sounds like a good idea ,but its going to be awhile before its ready.

Michigan troll thanks for the explanation

Rob

Old 06-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Registered

I'm presently testing the new gears, but I only have a few hours thus far. Dean said these gears are coated to a hardness of 90 Rockwell. In the past my lowers gears rarely last past 30hrs. Dean wants the drive back for inspection after 20hrs. These gears had 5 hours use before they were coated. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by zt260
I'm presently testing the new gears, but I only have a few hours thus far. Dean said these gears are coated to a hardness of 90 Rockwell. In the past my lowers gears rarely last past 30hrs. Dean wants the drive back for inspection after 20hrs. These gears had 5 hours use before they were coated. I'll keep you posted.
You still at 1000hp? Have ya truned it back up yet on the new gears?

Rob

Old 06-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
You still at 1000hp? Have ya truned it back up yet on the new gears?

Rob
I don't have it turned all the way up. But I'm pushing between 100 and 200HP more than Smitty. Hence, my gears die quicker than his. If I can make 50hrs it will be a success, and I'll recommend them to everyone with big HP. Unfortunately it will take a couple months to know for sure.

Dave

Quick Reply: my bravo outdrive gear experiment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.