my bravo outdrive gear experiment

Notices

my bravo outdrive gear experiment

Old 07-09-2006, 05:19 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: my bravo outdrive gear experiment

I hope the engine didnt get any damage. Thats sucks.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That really ruins a day.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 867 Likes on 403 Posts

Going out to shop in a few minutes to pull intake plenum and see if any aluminum made it into motor,there was just a slight dust on throttle blades,I think innercooler caught 99% of it. Going to pull blower and try to figure out what happened and what the fix is. Outdrive was still working fine though ,Smitty
Old 07-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Pulled plenum,very little aluminum dust in intake. Pulled supercharger head unit,support bearing wiped out,impeller contacted casing chewing up blades and casing. Calling procharger in morning to see what kind of $ and time to fix or get another head unit,imagine upwards of 3500$ plus. Might buy a used one or even buy another mefi3 computer,go to crockett and have him map a program on the water with O2 sensor and run N/A rest of season but its hard to go backwards. July is a very slow month for my transmission business and the future of my day job is up in the air right now so I'm kinda reluctant to empy bank account but also refuse to miss the rest of this boating season,Smitty
Old 07-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Registered

If the bearing let loose did any metal parts get in the oil pan?
Old 07-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Turbojack
If the bearing let loose did any metal parts get in the oil pan?
My procharger is a "SC" so the only metal that got in the motor was a tiny bit of aluminum dust that made it through the innercooler on the air/discharge side.I pulled intake plenum and found slight amounts on plenum floor but none in the intake ports. Pulled plugs and no evidence of any burn't metal on porcelein. Blower shaft that supports impeller wobbles around like bearing is totally gone,impeller contacted housing and chewed all the fins up plus scarred the housing.Sucks but could be much worse,Smitty
Old 07-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you use a blow-off or pop-off valve on your setup? That is just what happens to prochargers. That is with the m1s I think that they use bigger bearings on the m3s. Over 300 hours with your unit is pretty good. Would replace with a vortech.

Last edited by cobra marty; 07-09-2006 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

At first I thought the extra stress from not running a blowoff valve made impeller disentegrate,I even considered installing one last winter but it was simply a bearing failed that supports the shaft impeller is on allowing impeller to grind into the casing. I could have prevented it by sending supercharger back to procharger for new bearings and a freshen job last winter so its my own fault. Figure it was turning at least 50,000 rpm's when impeller hit casing,the fins only folded over and got mangled,they didn't actually blow apart like I figured they did. I'm going to post pics as soon as I can find the cord for computer to camera,Smitty
Old 08-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

New update,drained oil last friday to install drive spacer,no metal,drive spacer wouldn't fit due to the design of the tower base max worx uses. Put lower back on the same way it was,ran boat at pt huron/st claire on the river for a couple of real hard 1-3 minute 5900 rpm runs with 30 pitch prop last weekend,took boat out during week and made about 6 real hard passes with 32 pitch,drained oil yesterday to install drive spacer (I had it custom machined to fit this week),was FULL of metal. Tore lower down,it has about 20 hours on it since gears were installed,pinion gear (the small one) is pitted real bad,driven gear looked ok. Funny thing was I been using 85/140 royal purple,never heard the normal noise drive makes when gears are getting bad and the lower bearings weren't scarred or damaged at all. I think the oil must have masked the noise and somehow kept metal from scarring up the bearings. I threw a set of stock gears in for now and have it back together.The extra stress from the 32 pitch must have helped do the gears in.So I would call this experiment a failure but it was something I wanted to try.
I'm open to suggestions for the next experiment,what do you guys think I should try next? I could get a set of gears cryo treated or heat treated THEN cryo treated,buy a set of treated gears from the bravo shop that they are putting in the b-max lower if they are available yet,buy a set of treated gears from max worx or buy there newest thing,lower gears they are making from 9310. They are still testing the 9310 gears as they just made them plus they are only available in 1.22 or 1.30-1,not 1.50-1 so I would have to buy a 28 pitch labbed prop. Looking for your opinions and input,Smitty
Old 08-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Registered

We need to get Konrad to cut us a deal on two drives. Then I'll build an identical engine to yours and we'll be the R&D for the Bravo conversion!!

Either that or we need to call Arneson!

Kirk
Pantera28-650HP

Quick Reply: my bravo outdrive gear experiment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.