Notices

my bravo outdrive gear experiment

Old 08-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: my bravo outdrive gear experiment

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Go Smitty Go!!!
do it, damn that suck your super charger puked, how many hours were on the unit? hope you didn't hurt the motor,rm

Last edited by ratman; 08-05-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think he is back up and running.. I need to call him... just been too busy.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:07 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smitty,
Thats sucks!! I was hoping that this process would have been the answer. I know that Dave ( ZT260 ) has had good luck with his gears from Dean. He will be putting alot of hours on his boat the next few days. I am sure we will get an update by mid-week.

Vinny
Old 08-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 867 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman
do it, damn that suck your super charger puked, how many hours were on the unit? hope you didn't hurt the motor,rm
Rat,I think the motor is fine,I have ran it another 15hours since supercharger went,a tiny amount of aluminum dust made it thru the inercooler but I didn't find any in the intake ports or any evidence on the spark plugs. The supercharger had over 300 hours on it,I blame the failure on my self for not getting it freshened last winter. I had bob madera(aka rmbuilder) and wags 382 on my boat for a ride at the st claire races last weekend and was able to get boat to air out even with the problems from the ext box and pull my 30 pitch to the rev limiter at 6000 rpm's so it doesn't seem hurt either,Smitty
Old 08-06-2006, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What ratio do you run 1.5 or 1.36? I allways felt that any prop over 28" was the culprit in hurting the drives.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:11 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
New update,drained oil last friday to install drive spacer,no metal,drive spacer wouldn't fit due to the design of the tower base max worx uses. Put lower back on the same way it was,ran boat at pt huron/st claire on the river for a couple of real hard 1-3 minute 5900 rpm runs with 30 pitch prop last weekend,took boat out during week and made about 6 real hard passes with 32 pitch,drained oil yesterday to install drive spacer (I had it custom machined to fit this week),was FULL of metal. Tore lower down,it has about 20 hours on it since gears were installed,pinion gear (the small one) is pitted real bad,driven gear looked ok. Funny thing was I been using 85/140 royal purple,never heard the normal noise drive makes when gears are getting bad and the lower bearings weren't scarred or damaged at all. I think the oil must have masked the noise and somehow kept metal from scarring up the bearings. I threw a set of stock gears in for now and have it back together.The extra stress from the 32 pitch must have helped do the gears in.So I would call this experiment a failure but it was something I wanted to try.
I'm open to suggestions for the next experiment,what do you guys think I should try next? I could get a set of gears cryo treated or heat treated THEN cryo treated,buy a set of treated gears from the bravo shop that they are putting in the b-max lower if they are available yet,buy a set of treated gears from max worx or buy there newest thing,lower gears they are making from 9310. They are still testing the 9310 gears as they just made them plus they are only available in 1.22 or 1.30-1,not 1.50-1 so I would have to buy a 28 pitch labbed prop. Looking for your opinions and input,Smitty

Smitty whats the price of these gears compared to the Merc stuff. I was thinking dealer on the Merc gear set was 200 something. The Bmax gears are just a coated/treated type gear ,he doesent have the helical gears yet.

and I dont have my new drives yet either

David is still testing his new BMax lower gears, I think he has about 20hrs now at 1000hp

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cobra marty
What ratio do you run 1.5 or 1.36? I allways felt that any prop over 28" was the culprit in hurting the drives.
Marty,I definately agree,I have changed oil 5 times in the 20 hours I have tried these heat treated gears and didn't start getting metal until I ran the 32 pitch. My drive is a 1.50 ratio,Smitty
Old 08-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Smitty whats the price of these gears compared to the Merc stuff. I was thinking dealer on the Merc gear set was 200 something. The Bmax gears are just a coated/treated type gear ,he doesent have the helical gears yet.

and I dont have my new drives yet either

David is still testing his new BMax lower gears, I think he has about 20hrs now at 1000hp
The best deal I can get on merc 15/19 lower gears is around 450$,I'm not sure what MAX WORX isgetting for the 9310 gears but I'm sure it will be over a 1000$. I bought 2 sets of low hour/low power application gears from a OSO member a few weeks ago,thats what I put in yesterday to get boat back up and running,they are brand new looking from a 04 boat so if they only last 20-50 hours I have 100$ instead of 450$ thrown away,Smitty
Old 08-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would try 1.36 and 26 or 28" prop.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cobra marty
I would try 1.36 and 26 or 28" prop.
I heard the 1.36 gears hold up better,I might try that next,thanks for your input,Smitty

Quick Reply: my bravo outdrive gear experiment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.