496 Header Install

Notices

496 Header Install

Old 05-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 Header Install

Has anyone here installed the new CMI headers on there 496 on a single or twin? How did it go easy? hard? How were the instructions?
Old 05-30-2006, 06:56 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Default Re: 496 Header Install

It's pretty straight forward. All the hoses, brackets and hardware are included. All relocated componenets will remount in close proximity to original locations.

If we can help at all let us know. We are currently running a Huge Sale on CMI Exhaust Headers.

Thank you,

Ateco Engine and Dyno Shop

www.atecoengines.com
Old 05-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: 496 Header Install

We have installed the 496 CMI header kits and I will be honest with you! It will take you most of the time about 10-12 hours in the boat per motor and about 6-8 hours per motor with the motors out of the boat somewhat based on access and engine area size in the boat.. We have sent new info back to CMI on how to improve the kit and how to make the installation instructions a bit better for non-service and novice owners. The headers and most of the kit components are well thought out and when its done its a very nice system and upgrade for the 496. Do make sure you recheck your raw water system pressures after the install and make sure they stay in the 28-35lb range, ( not on a hose but in use in the water at WOT, any higher than that and you can have the pressure relief valves open into the bilge and dump a whole lot of water in a big hurry! Be especially careful in this area and if a shop is doing for you have them read your pressures in the water not on a hose hookup! I would say this is a medium to slight difficult install for the novice, so unless you feel comfortable with your skills on exhaust installs you might want to have an expierenced rigger or shop do the install. This kit with its relocations and such is not a slam dunk, unbolt the old manifolds and bolt on new headers. there is a moderate amount of re-plumbing and remounting of parts like remote oil filters, ECM plates, shift plates, oil and water line mods., but if you are a decent wrench and take your time and recheck your work you should be able to do the install and be very pleased when you are done. Give your self a full two days to be sure for a first timer and don't rush the job!! Hope this info helps.

Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-30-2006, 07:56 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 30 outlaw 2005
Has anyone here installed the new CMI headers on there 496 on a single or twin? How did it go easy? hard? How were the instructions?
Is that you Blake????

Vinny
Old 05-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks for the info so far. Ray I don't have a Water Pressure gauge on my boat now. Are you saying it would be good idea to install one.

No not Blake It's Rob.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:19 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Sorry, I thought you were someone else. I met him this weekend for the first time. I know he is a member here but dont know his name. He has the same boat as you and was interested in the CMI's on my 540..
Old 05-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Are you running a corsa setup? Or do you just dump straight out the back?

Blake is TEAMBAJA
Old 05-30-2006, 09:04 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I run full dry pipes with GGB Extreme mufflers.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:08 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

Can it be done on a twin engine setup without pulling a motor and without a contorsionist 'little person'?

Old 06-01-2006, 01:28 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Re: 496 Header Install

Not at all Fred! Glad to help explain the installation a bit so guys here can get a better understanding of the work, time and expierence level required to install the kit properly. I also agree that in most cases it would not ever require pulling the motors, it just may speed up some installs. That picture of the twins for install would make me think that more time and patience as well as contorsionism would definitly be required! Maybe even a few expletives would help!

Best Regards Fred, keep up the great sales and service!

Ray @ Raylar

Quick Reply: 496 Header Install

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.