94 502mag efi problem......help >

94 502mag efi problem......help

Notices

94 502mag efi problem......help

Old 06-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 502mag efi problem......help

Here's what's happening...........Start the boat, go for a ride (15-20 min) and pull into another marina, Idle up the river for about 15 minutes and then the one motor dies and won't start back up.

Idle back up the river on one motor, get to the lake and fire the other motor and run back to home port OK......Idle to my dock and one motor dies again........

This senario has happened a few times..........tried new water/fuel seperator, map sensor and now I'm thinkin vapor lock??????

Anyone?????
Old 06-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Registered

Default Re: 94 502mag efi problem......help

is it a 502 mpi or efi ?????

sounds like a coil shorting next time it happens feel the coil if its hot replace it

what happens coil gets warm, expands shorts, gets hotter, cools all is good till it gets hot again

means a short in one of the windings

doesnt sound like a filter problem if it was would happen more at higher rpms then lower

as for a vapor lock problem if you have the mpi it has a vst which should not allow that biggest problem with those is a stuck needle and dumping fuel into # 8

these are just quick tips/ with out seeing it and checking everything it just a matter of look at the most common through enogh sh*t against the wall ect

Last edited by GOODT; 06-01-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe is right. We have seen some similar issues though with the vst's resivoir diagphragm going bad or the needle & seats getting screwed up & causing some starting issues.. Hopefully for your sake its the coil though. It is cheap & easy to replace.. Feel free to use our sites parts diagrams if you need to.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 06-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DONZI33
.. Jamie / Lakeside

just checked out where you guys are Wilkes Barrie,
that's up there,I grew up just west of Philly used to go up your way hated the ne extension,, real short season up there....

if your ever in my neck of the world look me up !!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by GOODT
just checked out where you guys are Wilkes Barrie,
that's up there,I grew up just west of Philly used to go up your way hated the ne extension,, real short season up there....

if your ever in my neck of the world look me up !!!!

Im about 15 minutes out of W-B.. THANK GOD!.. The season is on the short side for the local lake boats, but the Hi perf stuff from all over the east coast that comes in keeps me busy year round.. Too busy sometimes.. Actually I hoping to head down your way soon. I like to boat out of NE MD, and I have some friends down there. You shouldn't be too far south of there.. Do you do any of the bay poker runs?? We do the Thunder on the bay run out of NE MD.. We should try to meet up out on the bay sometime even if its not a poker run.. Jamie
Old 06-02-2006, 05:10 AM
Registered

We should try to meet up out on the bay sometime even if its not a poker run.. Jamie

sounds like a plan, let me know next time your down this way
Old 06-02-2006, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mkramer, I was having the same problem with 454Mags. I replaced the needle and seat and diaphragm in the VST and so far so good. I'm running a Poker Run this weekend and I hope all will be well..... It should be a good test.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Commercial Member

sounds like a plan, let me know next time your down this way
Cool.. Will do Jamie
Old 06-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Registered

is it a 502 mpi or efi ?????

sounds like a coil shorting next time it happens feel the coil if its hot replace it

what happens coil gets warm, expands shorts, gets hotter, cools all is good till it gets hot again

means a short in one of the windings

doesnt sound like a filter problem if it was would happen more at higher rpms then lower

as for a vapor lock problem if you have the mpi it has a vst which should not allow that biggest problem with those is a stuck needle and dumping fuel into # 8

these are just quick tips/ with out seeing it and checking everything it just a matter of look at the most common through enogh sh*t against the wall ect

Thanks for the info.......................I'll test run it tonight

I have an EFI

hopefully the coil is the trick
Old 06-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Registered

Joe is right. We have seen some similar issues though with the vst's resivoir diagphragm going bad or the needle & seats getting screwed up & causing some starting issues.. Hopefully for your sake its the coil though. It is cheap & easy to replace.. Feel free to use our sites parts diagrams if you need to.. Jamie / Lakeside

Thanks, I'll check out the site..............

Quick Reply: 94 502mag efi problem......help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.