Flushing Salt water- 5 day trip to FWB >

Flushing Salt water- 5 day trip to FWB

Notices

Flushing Salt water- 5 day trip to FWB

Old 06-17-2006, 12:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Flushing Salt water- 5 day trip to FWB

I live on the West Coast and do most of my boating in the ocean. I never had a problem with the salt because Im anal about flushing the engine with SALT AWAY and washing my trailer. I would definitely paint any bare spots on your trailer first. Because the salt will in no time attack it. I personally would flush the engine every day that you take it out. There was one time I was in a hurry and didn't wash trailer....ooh boy was that a mistake.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Registered

Just priced out lifting the boat from trailer, 5 days in a slip, came to about 10% of a new Alum trailer- I'll play thye odds on this trip with salting my Myco. I did email Glen/Kitten, will see what they say
Old 06-18-2006, 08:24 AM
MOP
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Flushing Salt water- 5 day trip to FWB

Like Joe said touch up the scratches before it hits the salt if not it the rust will be creeping in under the paint. I live in salt and run closed cooling, even if I am going to use the boat the next day I still do a good flush as soon as it is back on the trailer, not much will go on inside an all iron engine as long as it is full of water. But mix iron and aluminum and you have the makings of a battery IE: electrolysis! Flush it long and well, pick up an in line garden hose feeder and use Salt Away or even dish detergent which seems to work well also some cheap insurance.

Phil
Old 06-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by birdog
When i took mine to Fla for the winter i flushed EVERY night.& washed the boat. Also spayed about 3 cans of WD-40 on the motors & everything in the bilge before I started. Everything worked out great.
Exactly Birdog!
This is the proper way to handle flushing, it takes 5- 10 min to be sure your investment is protected. How much did you spend on these motor(s)? How about the heads alone? Use Salt Away and do it EVERY day!