Cracked block...NEED HELP! >

Cracked block...NEED HELP!

Notices

Cracked block...NEED HELP!

Old 06-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Cracked block...NEED HELP!

A freind of mine, who is a millwright, said he knows of a fool proof solution, that he's performed many times.

You drill a hole in the middle of the crack...then you tap it...then you drill another hole along the crack, overlaping the first hole...and tap it. You do this along the entire crack...insert screwed plugs with threading compound in each of the threaded holes....AND WHOOLA....you've got a perfect seal.

That's why they pay him $50.00 an hour at Ford Motor Company. Yes.....it can done, but only if the crack is in an accesable place. Otherwise...you're screwd.

Now...I'm trying to decide whether I want to fix the motor ...or get SCREWED by my girlfreind. I know one thing for sure...she's got a crack in an accessable place.

Last edited by MAGNUTS; 06-22-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Cracked block...NEED HELP!

We really need pictures, of the girlfriend that is, in order to help you any further.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtie
We really need pictures, of the girlfriend that is, in order to help you any further.
I concur
Old 06-23-2006, 05:30 AM
Registered

Now I'm a little confused....what should I do first...take pictures of the crack in the block...or my girlfreind???

I think I need another.. ya..maybee..
Old 06-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Registered

MagNuts,

For the piece of mind and BOATING safety, I would replace the block. You cannot compare an auto application to a marine application. While the cracks may appear superficial, the block casting needs to be intact to survive the loads and stresses induced in a marine environment. These blocks are align-honed to .001" or less and a crack is at least that wide...It's even worse if the block has salt water running through it...

The important thing to remember is that even though it is a water jacket, it is integral to the overall strength of the block. If it weren't necessary, the water jackets would be copper or tin...

Replace It. You still may be able to use many of your parts if you reconditioned them. If it self-destructs, you will probably be out a whole motor... and obviously this is much more $$$ to replace. Stock short blocks are relatively inexpensive.

Exhaust Manifolds can be successfully welded without a problem.

Good Luck!

-Larry
Old 06-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Registered

You drill a hole in the middle of the crack...then you tap it...then you drill another hole along the crack, overlaping the first hole...and tap it. You do this along the entire crack...insert screwed plugs with threading compound in each of the threaded holes....AND WHOOLA....you've got a perfect seal.

As an engineer, I would NEVER suggest this fix for a marine engine (or any cast iron block engine). Your friend may have had success, but I would be amazed if it really lasted. Plugs actually seal by putting outward 'wedging' pressure on the hole threads, and I have to think that during heating and cooling that the plugs would loosen up and eventually leak again. I would also be concerned that the crack would actually get longer over time.

Welding is the only option that will seal the leak, but there is so much you need to do to have it done. You might as well replace the block. Welding IN a boat is a VERY risky undertaking....Trust me, I know... A friend of mine was SEVERELY burned when he attempted to weld a exhaust manifold on the boat...not a good idea...

Good Luck!

-Larry
Old 06-23-2006, 05:20 PM
Registered

I would like to thank the following members for all of their helpfull advice and comments:

ljsmith
stevesxm
t500hps
SIB
chekmate454mag
jmherbert
BadDog
ratman
MOP
sonicator
Gordo

Stay tuned for the latest news...and pictures of my girlfreind!

Thank's guys, Bobby
Old 06-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Registered

schite, even I am not so tight I would jerry rig and monkey fk a motor just to save a couple hundred bucks.....

well, someone has to keep the tow boats running, one of my clients makes a hell of a lot of money from people that were to tight to fix it right that they got to pay his $250 tow bill and THEN fix it right....

but hey, some people gotta learn everything the hard way....
Old 06-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Registered

YOU GOTTA HAVE BALLS!!!!!

Most boat owners..... pay dearly..... to have problems fixed.

Why.......? BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE THE BALLS TO DO IT THEMSELVES.....to study the probem...ask for advice...and fix it themselves. Instead...they think only an expert in the feild ...can do it right. Basicaly....they are cowards.....WHIMPS. I'm sorry to say it....but a lot of you out there are whooooosy's. You have lots of money to burn .....and pay somebody else to solve your problems.

It's PERFECTLY OK......if your time is more valuable making $$$....and can pay someone else to remedy the problem. BUT....not all of us are in your position....and even if we were....We'd still attempt to fix it ourselves. And....if it didn't work out right....then we'd let someone else step in and fix the problem.

Personally....I can't understand ...ALL....the people on this chat line saying ....you can't fix it yourself...it won't work... your wasting your time....and it's now going to cost you a lot more to pay someone to do it right. BULLLSHEEEEEET!!!!

I think you're wrong....you're lazy... don't have any confidence in acheiving what you want to do....and enjoy putting other peoples ideas down.

All you want you to do is....sit in front of that big screen tv..make sure you've got enough munchies and beer....and fall asleap....and hope that you are still rich tommorow when you wake up.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MAGNUTS
YOU GOTTA HAVE BALLS!!!!!

Most boat owners..... pay dearly..... to have problems fixed.

Why.......? BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE THE BALLS TO ...ask for advice....
Or follow it when they do ask and it is given....

Here is another possibility, boating an be dangerous, you are running high speeds, with high power equipment, explosive fuels, high temperatures, often times a few beers, no breaks, no way to walk away from a problem... Maybe boaters pay dearly for repairs cause they ain't riding no big wheel with four moving parts made of plastic?????

Man, it makes no difference to me REALLY, but you ask for advice, and got a lot of it, from a lot of people, and almost everyone said trying to repair this was a dumb azz thing to do and you should just replace the block.....

Maybe the people you ask advice from had some, maybe it was good advice, maybe you do not realize what you contemplate is just plain dumb because you do not understand how all this stuff works. Or everyone else is dumb, you have it right, and asking everyone's advice was a stupid mistake on your part.

Really, it is not that big a deal, probably will not kill anyone, worst thing that is likely to happen is you jerry rig it, you run it a while, crack opens, motor dies, you get a tow, then buy a block....

But maybe you jerry rig it, you run it a while, then it looks good so you start REALLY stressing the motor at high speed and the cooling patch breaks causing a lot more damage and LARGE water passage opening, your engine loses all water, massive over heating of oil, creating extreme vapors off the oil, engine becomes pressurized from the breather vents becoming clogged and your valve cover gaskets blow scorching hot oil all over the exhaust manifold and you become 4th of July fireworks....

But since none of us will be in the boat with you, and we tried like hell to get you to just fix it the right way, it is really not that big a deal..... right?

As to the money thing, maybe guys with money have it because they did not try to half azz things??? Or maybe the path to riches is throw your money away haphazardly? Someone once told me "if you want to be rich, do what rich people do", maybe they got it all wrong...

Man, I wish you the best of luck, in what ever you try, but as a responsible boater, you should consider not letting anyone ride in your boat until the block is repaired correctly. At a MINIMUM make sure all passengers know you were not willing to repair a critical component in a safe manner, and while it is not the PROBABLY out come, it is possible your boat becomes a fire ball with them in it. Then they can decide if they want to take the chance or not... It is the least you should do.

Quick Reply: Cracked block...NEED HELP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.