Notices

Cracked block...NEED HELP!

Old 06-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cracked block...NEED HELP!

i would like to add to this thread.

Brand new 525 efi. in my race boat

cracked at front motor mount from bolt hole to freeze plug.

slowly leaking coolant (only at WOT)

what would you do? Im thinking it can be welded. Pulled from boat of course.

I have also heard that this is a weak point in the GM casting.

any other similar situations?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF

I took my machinest to the Dyno shop this evening and discussed this thread, we were going to run a pair of motors he built for.

His comment is "sure, you can pin a block, JB weld it, let rust crode over the crack, put funk in the cooling system, all that stuff, and most of it will work for a time, but you always take the chance that things end badly"....

A 525 efi is a much more expensive block, so it is probably economical to have a really good welder work on the block, and you will still have a solid unit.

As to other fixes, it is a crap shoot, may work, may not, but in a marine environment if it can break the extrems will break it, so it is hardly worth doing unless you are going to spend the money and do it right.

Last edited by dean51267; 06-27-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey MAGNUTS,, have your girlfriend do about 5 extra lapdances each nite, work a couple extra shifts per week etc. A good stripper can make enough for a bare small block in one day and still afford munchies and beer. Shet a good stripper can make enough dinero for a new 502 in about 3 days.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF

look either buy new block or fix it with marine tex ( yes it works ) cheap fix if done right and not run hard

or weld it if the welder knows what he is doing........ it will be like new

Im tired of seeing this thread for a either it is or is not

Last edited by GOODT; 06-27-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Registered

Considering the cost of a 525 block (and the fact that it's new), I would have a professional weld it. Like has been said, if it's done right (and there is an art to welding cast iron), it should be fine. As far as Magnuts is concerned, You're talking about a 350 chevy in a 79 Wellcraft, right?
For what you'd spend to have it done right (no JB Weld), you could buy a used block at the junk yard. For a few bucks more, you could get a rebuilt long block, and bolt all your accessories to it.
Is the issue that you don't want to pull the engine out of the boat?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Registered

Re: Cracked block...NEED HELP!

Liberator21

You got it... I don't want to pull the motor. It's my sons 79 210XL NOVA..... he works part time..as a summer student (on call), and can't afford it. He didn't follow my instructions last fall to winterize it properly...and now he's paying the price. The $30 he should have spent on the extra anti-freeze to do it right...he spent on pot. We both know...the perfect fix is to pull the motor and replace the block.

I've bailed him out of too many jams allready in his life...given him way too much money...and he still F**KS UP.

You...and all the other OSO guys have been terrific with your advice....good bad or indiferent. Every suggestion made.... has it's own merrit. I know J&B weld is a band aid...welding is better....and replacing the block is 100% correct.

MY THANK'S GO OUT TO ALL OF YOU !!!
Old 06-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Registered

I had a 1979 Wellcraft Nova 210 XL.

I replaced the block with a reman long block for 1100.

I miss that boat.

Too bad that your kid is so far gone that you are willing to slam him.
This could have been a great teachable moment in which he learned how to replace his block, how boats work, why maintenance is so important, and what a great dad he has.

Sounds like instead of all that good stuff he just gets to hear what a F up he is.

I thought that you needed mechanical help.... but it sounds like that is the least of the problems.

Too bad... that is a great first boat. And a classic design.

Trade him a bag for it and keep it yourself?
Old 06-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Registered

I say it can still be a good lesson for him. (Personally, I'd smack him in the head with a pot!). I say, put the cover back on the boat, and let him sit out the summer on the shore watching everyone else have fun. Maybe that will help him get his priorties straight.
Just my .02
Old 06-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Registered

Re: Cracked block...NEED HELP!

fund razor

By the way...I like your avitar...my son never misses the simpsons.

HOWEVER.....it's about time he learned the hard way. I built my first boat when I was 13. My son and I have allready changed a few blocks...on my boats....so he knows how it works. He's 33...a know-it-all, can't tell him anything...allways has an excuse for everything. Penny wise....and pound foolish.

You could blame me...he was raised a rich kid...untill I split with my wife...after 20 years...when he was 12. He knows what's right and wrong...but prefers to take the lazy way out. Why...I don't know. I've met many people in all walks of life...some good....some bad...some indifferent. Basically...my son likes the good life....he's a good time Charly...and VERY SMART. I'm standing fast on this one...it's about time he learnd the hard way....I did....many times.

Last edited by MAGNUTS; 06-28-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MAGNUTS
fund razor

By the way...I like your avitar...my son never misses the simpsons.

HOWEVER.....it's about time he learned the hard way. I built my first boat when I was 13. My son and I have allready changed a few blocks...on my boats....so he knows how it works. He's 33...a know-it-all, can't tell him anything...allways has an excuse for everything. Penny wise....and pound foolish.

You could blame me...he was raised a rich kid...untill I split with my wife...after 20 years...when he was 12. He knows what's right and wrong...but prefers to take the lazy way out. Why...I don't know. I've met many people in all walks of life...some good....some bad...some indifferent. Basically...my son likes the good life....he's a good time Charly...and VERY SMART. I'm standing fast on this one...it's about time he learnd the hard way....I did....many times.
Blaming you is no fun.
Doubt that it's your fault anyway from the tone of your posts.

Hope that my post wasn't too harsh. It was the former owner of a 210xl in me. That and I was kind of shocked by your post at first but now I realize that it is the frustration coming out... not lack of caring. Sorry about that.

Good luck with the boat and the kid.

If that boat ends up becoming available... I might take on a project Nova again. Let me know.

Quick Reply: Cracked block...NEED HELP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.