High Oil Pressure >

High Oil Pressure

Notices

High Oil Pressure

Old 06-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Oil Pressure

I am breaking in my new motor, it is a 350 with vortec heads and edelbrock airgap intake. I am using the motor oil givien to me by my local engine shop along with cam break in oil as its a flat tappet cam. I believe its 10w 40 but I am not sure. The oil pressure its at about 60 to almost 80 and I have put a new sensor on the motor. it has about 5 hours on now, what should i look into next, and what motor oil and weight should I run once I get past 10 hours?
Thanks in advance for you help
-Harry
Old 06-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: High Oil Pressure

the oil pressure isn't out of control in my opinion. the engine shop may have used a pump with a higher pressure bypass spring in the oil pump or a higher volume pump. we like to use a little thicker oil (15/50 mobil 1) or sometimes straight 40 weight. if your engine does not have a decent oil cooler on it, the thinner oils dont hold up to the higher oil temperatures found in marine use. i would also suggest adding GM EOS oil additive to your oil.(get it at a gm dealers parts counter) the reason is this, it seems that some additives in oils that have extreme pressure qualities, have been removed from most oils because they clogg cat. converters on autos when burned.these additives help prevent flat tappet cam wear. by using the eos in the oil, you will help prevent cam wear. you should ask your engine builder if he put a higher volume oil pump in the engine. if they did, keep an eye on your pressure guage on extended throttle runs to make sure you are not succking the pan dry
Old 06-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: High Oil Pressure

Originally Posted by rlv1017
the oil pressure isn't out of control in my opinion. the engine shop may have used a pump with a higher pressure bypass spring in the oil pump or a higher volume pump. we like to use a little thicker oil (15/50 mobil 1) or sometimes straight 40 weight. if your engine does not have a decent oil cooler on it, the thinner oils dont hold up to the higher oil temperatures found in marine use. i would also suggest adding GM EOS oil additive to your oil.(get it at a gm dealers parts counter) the reason is this, it seems that some additives in oils that have extreme pressure qualities, have been removed from most oils because they clogg cat. converters on autos when burned.these additives help prevent flat tappet cam wear. by using the eos in the oil, you will help prevent cam wear. you should ask your engine builder if he put a higher volume oil pump in the engine. if they did, keep an eye on your pressure guage on extended throttle runs to make sure you are not succking the pan dry
Does GM EOS contain zinc and phosporus or is it just a viscosity improver. You would be better off to run a quality motorcycle engine oil that has the up treat of zinc & phosphous in a 20w50 viscosity. I personally use Spectro Golden 20w50, a synthetic/petroleum blend and have excellent oil pressure. Most motorcycle shops stock it. Ken