another hard shifting bravo >

another hard shifting bravo

Notices

another hard shifting bravo

Old 06-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another hard shifting bravo

this bravo has been shifting hard since i bought it and i think it's getting worse.i already disconnected the cable from the helm to the engine and shifter moves easy.pulled the drive off and cable from engine to drive is easy.pulled the back cover and greased ball/spring and still shifts hard.must be in the drive itself.what shifts inside the drive?called my local guy it he said that the bravo gears have been updated.do these gears make it shift easy.just don't want to replace things i don't have to.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: another hard shifting bravo

I would check the shift fork and cams for wear or scoring
Old 04-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

I have the same question. I did all the same things that awsomethunder has with the same results. I only did it on one of my drives but it didnt change anything so didnt try it on the other side. Both work the same. I can shift it with one hand but my wife has to us both hands. It shifs quietly and very positive but just hard to do. If it gets into thousands of dollars I will just deal with it. Thats what we have been doing anyway. I guess we all want an easy fix that wont break the bank.

Jerry.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing you can check is the shift fork rod. You have to take the top cap and the back cap off. Remove the two screws that hold the linkage and the shift fork to the rod. Then put a bolt in the top of the rod and thread it in a few turns. Then pull it up.. You may have to mess with the fork or linkage to get it to pull out. Sometimes they stick in there pretty good. If there is excessive wear on the rod it can hinder shifting. Check fork for wear and heat marks.
The rod rides up and down as it turns. Follows the cams on the fork. If it binds then it can cause hard shifting..
I would first remove the back cap and rotate the engine (dont start it) and try shifting it.. You will have to bypass the safety switch. That will remove the pressure from the detent ball.. If that looks good, then you will have to remove the gear stack..
That requires more tools and a manual.. So it all depends on how deep you want to go. Pulling the drive and bringing it to someone that can open the upper, shouldnt be that expensive. To look at the situtation..
Old 04-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

Thanks for the advice. I was told by the Fountain dealer that it would need a new gear set on both drives. More than I wanted to spend. I guess I am having trouble understanding why the gears would make it shift easier. Now the shift linkage as you mention makes perfect sense.
Thanks again, Jerry.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Registered

A friend had the same problem.We found the shift cable going to the lower would kink instead sliding back and forth in and out of the transom.The cable has to move with the lower,if it kinks,it binds badly. Hope this helps,BOB
Old 04-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

We had a new transom assembly installed on one side. Came complete with new lower shift cable so I'm pretty sure it's not the cables. I disconnected the longe cable at the engine and when opperated at the shifter it moves smooth as silk. I'm inclined to beleive it's in the shift mechanism itself. It's interesting that they both act the same but I suppose they would have about the same amount of hours on them.

Jerry.