Did I make a mistake? >

Did I make a mistake?

Notices

Did I make a mistake?

Old 07-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Did I make a mistake?

I had to replace my transom seal, because it was leaking.
While I had the transom assembly off, I decided to repaint it (it needed it). I sanded it, bead blasted it, and wiped it down.
I had planned to use Alumiprep, then Alodine, but when I went to the paint supplier, he said "No one uses that anymore". He said go with a single stage self-etching primer.
So, I used SEM self etching primer, then two coats of DP50LF epoxy primer, then PPG Concept 2000 DCC single stage urethane. The part looks great, but I'm starting to have doubts on whether it's going to last. I mounted the housing back on the boat two days ago. This boat sits in the water all season (salt). All the newly painted surfaces will be coated with Aquaguard Alumi-Koat clear before going in.
Did I goof?? Should I strip it, and re-do? (Don't really want to).
Old 07-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Registered

Default Re: Did I make a mistake?

what you used should work with no issues, I prefer zinc cromate primer
Old 07-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Registered

geeze... for all that , i might have powder coated it... as for paint... don't know much of anything about what you used but have long and immensely successful history w/ imron.... the absolute toughest paint on the planet... after the 24 hrs of daytona where other cars would have the paint and gelcoat beat right off the cars, on the imron ones, you just wiped it with lacqour thinner and it looked brand new... terribly expensive but worth ev nickle... and they have their own al primers because it is, for all intents and purposes, airplane paint.

the key to all of these things in the water is no scratches or breaks... touch up where you put your `hardware in immediatly so the seal isn't broken... prob last forever... or the next seal
Old 07-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Registered

I did a Tahiti in Imron about 20 years ago. That boat looked great when I finished it, and it looked great up until the day I sold it. That was a trailered boat however. With this transom housing, I'm just worried that the primer will let loose, and the paint will start blistering off.
I'm tired of painting!
Old 07-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Registered

well.... whats worst case here ? its done , right ? you did a GREAT job on prep... i say trust your work and put it on... worst case is you do it again next year... is that any dif than starting over now ?

what made the imron so good that even when hard and dry has incredible film stregth so would flex and not crack ever... the fumes would give you cancer before you were done painting the car but as a product was and remains first rate. i know of no better.. regardless of propaganda