Volvo Penta 5.0 won't run >

Volvo Penta 5.0 won't run

Notices

Volvo Penta 5.0 won't run

Old 07-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Penta 5.0 won't run

My friend's boat just stopped yesterday! Brand new boat with 4-5hr. on it. This is the story.
Last year he bought this brand new boat with a VP 5.0LXi, ran the boat for 1hr. and the fuel pump broke. It took the VP shop 6 weeks to get a new one. End of last summer he used the boat for 3hr. This year he put the boat on the water, ran it for 30 min. stopped at a friends place, and when he was going home the engine would only run for 2-3 sec. before stalling. What could be wrong? Any suggestions? The VP mec. in his town has a 3-4 week waiting list!!!! could it be something easy??
Old 07-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Registered

Default Re: Volvo Penta 5.0 won't run

well before getting to the problem........where is the dealer he bought it from they are the ones that should be standing behind it............if he bought it from a dealer 5 hours away to save 1000.00 guess what hes losing money now.

ok that said.....with out knowing and facts other then stopped after 3 secs And im guessing that nor you or him have any mechanical back round at all the first step is to narrow things down a little a motor needs several things to run first is fuel, second is air, third is spark before we go looking at the harder stuff lets make sure we have these three things!!!!!

next time please give use the area you are in there are great techs from the OSO community all over the U.S. and if we know where you are maybe we can recommend someone

and please remember we dont have magic glasses that let us see this boat new boats are very complicated so the more information the better

if I had to take a wild guess id say you have a fuel issue but lets start at the basics as satated above

Last edited by GOODT; 07-09-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Registered

Thanks for your reply. Well first of all this is in Norway, and he bought the boat her in his city, the problem is that with only a handful of good days to go boating the shop/mec. get's too much to do in a weary short time, combine this with the holiday and you get waiting lines...

The fuel pump problem was easy to solve there was no pressure at the efi system. The problem was that this pump was a back order at VP. That's the reason for the long wait.

To bee a little more specific on the current problem:
The engine will start and run, but only for 2-3 sec. before stopping. Turn the key again and it will start again but only run for a few sec. My friend told me he pulled out the wires for the water temp sender and the engine would run for 10 sec. putting it back on it would run for only 2-3 sec. Any ideas? Would wait for mec. to put the computer on it, but as mentioned there is a long waiting line.... If there was a known problem there may be something to do to shorten the time.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Registered

see, sorry didnt know it was norway although Norway is closer to sweden then we are...........the quickest easiest way is going to be to put on computer and pull up codes

is the boat in the water ????

is it pumping water ?????

other then computer the first thing I would check is fuel pressure
Old 07-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Registered

BTW: Yes I know people sometimes believe that if they just put the phone up to the engine it can be fixed by the touch of a dial, or just swing the magic wand over it.

In my shop I deal in motorcycles and restore vintage cars at my spear time, so I have had my share of those calls....
Old 07-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Registered

Yes we are a lot closer then you are , I will check that it pumps water and chek the fuel pressure tomorrow, and yes the boat is in the water.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hydrolift
BTW: Yes I know people sometimes believe that if they just put the phone up to the engine it can be fixed by the touch of a dial, or just swing the magic wand over it.

In my shop I deal in motorcycles and restore vintage cars at my spear time, so I have had my share of those calls....

LMAO....sorry didnt mean to ream you..........

did my share of the vintage cars not to mention I was a factory rep for TVR of America in the early 80s
Old 07-10-2006, 06:28 AM
Registered

VP fuel pumps get the 12 volts from either the solenoid side of the starter (that is why it runs w/ key to the "start" position) or thru the alternator. I am betting it is not charging and energizing the fuel pump. What year boat?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Registered