pulling a Mercruiser out question >

pulling a Mercruiser out question

Notices

pulling a Mercruiser out question

Old 07-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulling a Mercruiser out question

Can anybody give me direction at pulling out a Mercruiser Model 400. Its a big block 454. I am interested to know if people seperate the motor from the Transmission (Velvet Drive) or is there a easier way like pull the motor and transmission out together. Is there a good seperating point? Never done this and my motor has a nasty noise in it so I'm going to start learning.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Registered

Default Re: pulling a Mercruiser out question

I've pulled my engines out of my old 40 cruiser by seperateing at the bellhousing. 4 bolts and a prybar, engine will move about 2 inches to free up velvet drive. Also I have 2 vevetdrives from same boat. I think they are 1.5 to 1 , 1 right hand, 1 left hand, both with less than 20 hrs on rebuild. I will sell for any resonable ofer. good luck.
chris.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Just Pulled Mine Two Bolts On The Bell Housing And Motor Mounts Came Right Out. Did You Pull The Outdrive? It Will Be Easier If You Have Limited Space.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Registered

haven't pulled out the out drive, ummm yet. My jet boat was easy cause it has acess hole in the bell housing. I haven't been able to take the chance yet to figure out what all I need to get disconnected. I'm still in denial, trying to figure out what a easy solution is to the noise. only looked at rockers and push rods so far, next I'm in under the intake. Maybe I'll luck out and its a loose cam sprocket. Any way, like if you split it at the block you have to get the fly wheel bolts off first. It looks like the trans sits on two bolts at the back but is there yoke you un blot or does it slip off a spline? I have to pull the exhaust stuff off just to get in to see what I'm up against. Can thoes Velvet drives get a dry bearing in them, or what usually goes wrong with them? Looks like someone worked on these velvets in 2004, they signed and dated them .

Thanks for replys!!!

Last edited by Excalibur Dude; 07-15-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Registered

What Kind Of Noise Is It And Where Is It Coming From?
Old 07-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Registered

I bet Houston is nice an toasty today, I lived down there a long time!!! Well Noises are hard to describe, it sounds roational, like a dry bearing, not steady, more intermitt, comes and goes stays a while. You can feel it in your finger tips if you are touching the block, high pitch vibration. Oil at idel is about 30 psi ish. I never have been really good at pin pointing engine noises, poor mans screw driver stephascope to the ear finds the loudest from the front of the intake . I don't think I hear a rod knock. Its a pretty significant, high pitched noise. Almost like a slipping belt screetch. I disconnected the belts so nothing but the motor was turning and the noise was still available for me hear(wasn't that nice of it?). I'm probably going to have to stretch my engine puller a little taller for this boat. N F way I'll get it out, or maybe I pull in a truck stop with a SKY hook. I think what started it all is trying new props and let RPMS get too high.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Registered

Good Luck
Old 07-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Registered

I forgot to mention another significant noise, its the beep beep noise as they ring up parts at the cash register
Old 07-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Registered

I Have Heard That Noise Alot Lately. Gotta Pay To Play And I Have Only Played Twice Since April. If Im Not Back Together By The End Of This Month I Think My Boat May Get Struck By Lightning. :d