Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Help!! Oil shooting out of the dipstick! >

Help!! Oil shooting out of the dipstick!

Notices

Help!! Oil shooting out of the dipstick!

Old 07-25-2006, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help!! Oil shooting out of the dipstick!

Hmmmm ok... thinking about swaping back to a 185 thermostat and cook in the rings. Any suggestions? I would do that of course after I do the leakdown test..
Old 07-25-2006, 12:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be nice to know what rings. Motor needs to warm but it really depends on type of rings that were installed as for seating theam. My expierence with the moly rings is they either seat real quick or not at all. Usually because of wrong or improper honing - finish. New moly rings get installed dry no oil.
I run a 160 stat and it warms to 170 if I run it hard for a while. 180 might be worth a try and it will keep your builder happy at that. Shouldn't hurt anything.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I gotta-go 4:30am comes early.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Registered

paradigm, thanks for all the info!!! Anyone else? MORE INPUT PLEASE!!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:20 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Originally Posted by Excalibur Dude
Don't know if this will apply or not. I heard if you rebuild with chrome molly rings that they take a long time to seat. If the rings aren't seated it will blow by. Its up for debate.
Chrome moly rings ? Do they make these anymore ? Lol.

Worst rings to seat in ever, that's why they are a thing of the past. Long time ago 'past' I mean.

Today's rings marked 'moly' are not chrome moly. Totally different material and construction.

With proper machining/clearances, today's moly rings set-in super fast. Put it this way, if they are not seating well within fire-up to a minute or so, installation or machining/clearancing was way off.

Last tid bit with rings, typically the higher the cylinder/combustion psi the more the rings will push out against the cyl wall and seat faster/better. To increase cylinder psi in a running engine is easy - give the engine more throttle.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Registered

There I go showing my age
I actually never used chrome molly rings, heard they wore the walls bad. I just remember hearing people bragging about building a performance motor and chrome molly rings being one of the bragging points, they werent building daily drivers. Thanks for the info SB.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Merc carb motors use a 142 deg. thermostat. Rings seat fine with that. They used to use 2 breathers without pcv valves on the 400 and 420hp. The builder may have done a poor job on the cyl. walls or installed some rings improperly. Both have happened to me

Last edited by PatriYacht; 07-25-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched your video and am wondering about the amount of smoke/steam coming out of that engine. Is it smoke? It seems to linger a bit. If it is, that engine has a serious problem with the bores/rings/pistons. Don't even bother running it anymore, just get it torn down to find out why it's burning so much oil. If it's just steam, something doesn't seem right. I have never seen that much steam coming out of an engine on a hose. By the way, you really shouldn't put it back on the water until your problem is solved. It is only a matter of time until you go a little too far and run enough oil out of the engine to damage it. I am sure that your mechanic is telling you to disregard this internet crap and that if you give the rings more time your problem will magically go away, but something just isn't right. Ask yourself one question, have you ever seen a brand new engine make that much smoke or blow oil out of the dipstick like this before? I haven't.

Rene
Old 07-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same problem with my boat after rebuild. I bought new EMI valve covers with tall breaters on both sides. Problem solved. At least with mine. Good luck !!!
Old 07-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by oldandtired
I watched your video and am wondering about the amount of smoke/steam coming out of that engine. Is it smoke?
Rene
Rene,

It is steam out of the engine / exhaust.... at the point of the video, the engine is warm. Thanks for the info... the engine runs great and has almost no smoke (the carb is a little rich so it smoke at the high end when rev)

Originally Posted by jeffswav
I had the same problem with my boat after rebuild. I bought new EMI valve covers with tall breaters on both sides. Problem solved. At least with mine. Good luck !!!
I have heard this more then once too and I am going to vent mine better in hopes of this fixing the problem.

ALL: Good info!! Keep it comming.

Right now I am going to vent the motor better (breathers) and do a leakdown test to see if my rings are giving me hell.

What do I need to look for on the leakdown test? How much leak is acceptable? How much is too much? Will it be the same on all pistons?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Registered

Hello,
a quick look on the internet revals this
http://www.dsmgrrrl.com/FAQs/leakdown.htm

Quick Reply: Help!! Oil shooting out of the dipstick!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.