water in trans oil? >

water in trans oil?

Notices

water in trans oil?

Old 07-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default water in trans oil?

I have twin 400HP Cyclones with the factory dual oil/trans cooler bellhousings. Today I just happened to pull the trans dipstick and the fluid was pink, not dark red like the other one.

The boat has been sitting since last october. I did do quite a bit of hosing stuff down in the bilge, so Im hoping some water got in there from that? The fluid level was not high, as if it was taking on water from a bad cooler, but is that possible??

Should I pump the fluid out, then change it a few times?? Is it common to have a trans cooler go bad???
Old 07-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: water in trans oil?

yes change fluid several times and keep an eye on it if water still present pretty much has to be the cooler
Old 07-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Registered

would one of those drill pumps work?? Is there a drain plug for the trans??
Old 07-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Registered

yes there should be a drain plug or you can pump it out like you do your engine oil,prefer to use drain plug as water is on the bottom
Old 07-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Registered

Pressure tested the trans cooler with city water hose( i think its around 30 psi). Not one drop leaked from the trans cooler. Looked over the driveshaft bellow and did not see any cracks in the rubber, and when I pulled the drives a few weeks ago didnt notice any water in the bellow. So where can the water have come from??? The fluid was defintily pink. I dranined it all out. any ideas???
Old 07-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I have twin 400HP Cyclones with the factory dual oil/trans cooler bellhousings. Today I just happened to pull the trans dipstick and the fluid was pink, not dark red like the other one.

The boat has been sitting since last october. I did do quite a bit of hosing stuff down in the bilge, so Im hoping some water got in there from that? The fluid level was not high, as if it was taking on water from a bad cooler, but is that possible??

Should I pump the fluid out, then change it a few times?? Is it common to have a trans cooler go bad???
Hey Mild, I have the same boat, same trans, was there a plug on the bottom of the trans? or do you have to pump it out? Just curious of the best way to go about the same task.
thanks