Velvet Drive help? + Pictures of a 10-18

Notices

Velvet Drive help? + Pictures of a 10-18

Old 07-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Velvet Drive help? + Pictures of a 10-18

Trying to troubleshoot noise here,
pulled motor and ran out of of boat, haven't recreated the noise. So can a velevt drive make enough noise to make it sound like its comming from the block? Sounds like a metalic dry rubbing noise. Not familiar with this set up at all.
Does anyone know of a way of testing the drive other than taking it apart?

Last edited by Excalibur Dude; 03-30-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Registered

Default Re: Velvet Drive help? + Pictures of a 10-18

Does anyone know what it would do if you run the drive wihout the spline shaft plugged in the tail housing?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Registered

OK,
Found out you can run it withiout the shaft plugged.
Does anybody recognise this type of fly wheel to drive coupling?
Is there a paticular name for this type?
Is there any opinions on a better alternate type?

comments greatly appreciated. I'm plowing ahead O Y O M F learning by Disassembly.

Thanks.

Last edited by Excalibur Dude; 03-30-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a standard drive plate.
See:
http://www.dolleroffshore.com/parts....&pn=273&r=4781
Any chance the noise could be from debris in the flywheel housing rubbing against the flywheel. The drive plate springs occasionally break.
Gary
Old 08-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Registered

Thanks, that cut away drawing helps. I get the Idea the way this thing works its the springs absorb the rotational shock, or what does it do? I see the fine coating of rust dust on things. I could visualize this thing being a good noise transmitter, if the drive is slipping and catching. I did get an opinion that a Velvet drive can slip without noise itshelf, but I'm wondering if the shaft had a bit of a rotational chatter as it slips and catches if it could transmitt the noise into those loaded springs and the plate. wishful thinnking....
Old 08-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

You may also want to check the 2 tail stock bearings in the transmission. These will transmit noise as well. Does the noise happen in neutral or in gear?

John S.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Registered

Thanks for the response.
it happens in nuetral. But I haven't let it run very long while I try to pinpoint the noise. Its like a low speed belt slip noise, or a dry bushng..hard to describe noise. I have Just been taking things off to try to eliminate noise. I'll go get the drive and plug it on in a day or two and see if the noise comes back. once I heard the noise I shut it off, wen't in on the other motor and haven't run it in gear since. Just a few sample starts in Nuetral.

Last edited by Excalibur Dude; 08-02-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Registered

I did run the motor and transmission for a while....no strange noise again. So go figure, left with a question....Engine oil doesn't seem to have metal flakes in it. All I know is I did learn now that the oil level in the drive shows full if I check it when I first walk up to it. You run the motor for a bit and turn it off and take a quick check, it barley reads on the stick....so effectivly I may have been running the drive low on oil.
I'm probably going to stick the drive on another engine and put it back in the boat. It would have been easier to let it self destruck to find the problem for real
Old 08-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Registered

OMG this sux trying to put the engine and trans back in cant get the spline to shove back in the velvet drive. I have enough room to move around a bit and it looks simple enough, I have someone trying to rotate the prop while I push and the sucker won't slip in that extra 1inch or what ever. Removed the velvet drive and tried to get it back in by itself, just cant seem to get the angle...that spline shaft has a bullet shaped nose...I thought once you get the shaft started it would be close enough and its just a matter of ligning the splines up....whats up with that, anybody else had that hassle? I only tried for an hour, resting for tomorrow and Im going to take a few variations in thickness of boards to put under the Velvet to hold it up steady for me ..

Last edited by Excalibur Dude; 08-30-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:46 AM
Registered

Remove the drive off the back of the boat. It only requires removing the trim ram pin and 6 bolts.
Install the engine with trans.
Check alignment.
Install drive. If you have problems, you can use making tape on the shaft U joint to keep it strait. It will just shread to pieces once you run it.
Gary

Quick Reply: Velvet Drive help? + Pictures of a 10-18

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.