Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
My RPM gauge barely works - diagnosis? >

My RPM gauge barely works - diagnosis?

Notices

My RPM gauge barely works - diagnosis?

Old 08-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My RPM gauge barely works - diagnosis?

Originally Posted by GOODT
Im not trying to be mean or bash him.....

but too much info to some people can be a dangerous thing...

because they will try and fix it with not mech ability's at all, Im always more then happy and enjoy helping people here but when someone demonstrates absolutely no mech ability I always recommends they take it to a reliable shop in there area for that reason......

for people WITH mech back round / ability, alot of times it hard to see some people just can visualize a mech problem in there head

just like I have a hard time figuring out how this stupid computer works....

but give me a 525 with smart craft and I have no problem figuring out a problem

My brother has a doctorate in computer engineering (yes hes dr computer) he designs them....I start talking about intake, compression, power, exhaust ( the 4 strokes ) hes lost just as Im lost when he starts talking about pc boards ect

Im not trying to bash him just help him
I've got a Fluke 88 meter and built my pidly 215hp mustang to 320 dyno hp.. i'd say i'd got average mechanical skills..

I'm new to boat's.. i figured i'd seek help here like i would on corral.net for example like i am here.. so please don't don't don't sell me short..
I'll take any good info i can take.
When i do fix it, i'll be sure to post the results so others can take some FYI from it.

PS. so long as the membership don't mind the newbie Q's that can't be found using the search function, i'll keep 'em coming (knock on wood!)..

PPS. Perhaps i shoulda called the darn thing a tachameter to buy me some credibility.

Mike

Old 08-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Registered

i know they ment no offence. you've got to understand not everyone has the same abilities.they don't want to tell someone to fix sonething they can't handle
Old 08-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by biginches
i know they ment no offence. you've got to understand not everyone has the same abilities.they don't want to tell someone to fix sonething they can't handle

thank you well said !!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Registered

I would say that the tach itself is the prime suspect since it actually works but gives faulty readings. Further since it reads 0 rpm at idle it is not just about setting the correct no of cylinders. In my 1988 235 Baja there was originally a tach with an adjustment screw. I felt it was quite useless since you never knew it the reading was correct. I bought a new one.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 118 Posts

Mike,
I have seen bad grounds cause the same problem in automoitve applications. Knowing how easy it is to get corrosion on a marine application the first thing I would do is thoroughly clean all of the connections. Make certain that all of the engine grounds are in place and clean too. If you have to, run a temporary ground wire up to the tach just to see if it helps any.

Hope this helps,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 08-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Registered

Hi, I had the opposite problem about three weeks ago, the opposite was that the reading was way to high. Talk about it to my mechanic and he told me to change the spark plugs. He had his finger right on the button, A one since the change.
I don't know how long you have your sparks plugs on, but if they have many hours on them, this spark plugs change may have a double effect
Old 08-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Registered

I pulled the panel today, like was suggested, i played with the screw behind the tach - it started working!

I used my Fluke multimeter RPM accessory to determine the exact engine rpm's and adjusted the screw until the gauge displayed the correct RPM's.

FYI for future search function users.

Thanks for all the help!