3.5 Whipple on 496HO >

3.5 Whipple on 496HO

Notices

3.5 Whipple on 496HO

Old 08-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5 Whipple on 496HO

My 496HO has roughly 185 hours on it and I wanted to know if there was any real danger in putting one on a new motor? I've heard the 3.5 pound kit is perfect for my model engine. I've also been told to wait unti the motor is older. What has been your guys' experience?
Old 08-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Registered

Default Re: 3.5 Whipple on 496HO

Originally Posted by Bolts21
My 496HO has roughly 185 hours on it and I wanted to know if there was any real danger in putting one on a new motor? I've heard the 3.5 pound kit is perfect for my model engine. I've also been told to wait unti the motor is older. What has been your guys' experience?
What, what, and more what?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is it???
Old 08-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: 3.5 Whipple on 496HO

Supercharging on a 496 MAG or HO engine it does not have anything to do with the age of the motor unless its really old and tired. All 496 mags and HO's have the same pistons regradless of year and these are the parts that are not supercharger friendly. The 496's with a stock block are just sort of "allergic" to any real form of supercharging unless you go through the motor and install forged pistons minimum . Probably the most critical thing after that is getting the air/fuel ratios just right so not to burn a perfectly good motor down. The reprogrammin of the ECM is a must along with an upgraded fuel system and careful setup and fine tuning after the install. Seems that these type of install unless done by one of the better expierenced shops seem to have only about a 10% success rate. So be cautious, be careful and use a highly expierenced shop with real 496 supercharging expierence and references.!

Ray @ Raylar
Old 08-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: 3.5 Whipple on 496HO

SO IF YOU WANT IT DONE RIGHT CALL RAY AT RAYLAR THEY WILL SET YOU UP RIGHT I BELIEVE A 525 HP 650 HP AND 750HP THATS WHAT I HEARD FROM A RACE TEAM THATS KICKEN ASS PS YOU DON'T GO TO CAR GUYS TO BUILD BOAT MOTORS I KNOW FIRST HAND SO DO IT RIGHT AND GO TO THE MAN. AND DO IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME
Old 08-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Supercharging on a 496 MAG or HO engine it does not have anything to do with the age of the motor unless its really old and tired. All 496 mags and HO's have the same pistons regradless of year and these are the parts that are not supercharger friendly. The 496's with a stock block are just sort of "allergic" to any real form of supercharging unless you go through the motor and install forged pistons minimum . Probably the most critical thing after that is getting the air/fuel ratios just right so not to burn a perfectly good motor down. The reprogrammin of the ECM is a must along with an upgraded fuel system and careful setup and fine tuning after the install. Seems that these type of install unless done by one of the better expierenced shops seem to have only about a 10% success rate. So be cautious, be careful and use a highly expierenced shop with real 496 supercharging expierence and references.!

Ray @ Raylar
Ray are the pistons cast??? How much power are you getting out of a stock rotating assy?? Also who is doing the computers on them? I would think it would be a MUST to dyno to calibrat it.

That being saiid I think betitbig is the only one thats making some power with a Whipple on one...

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Registered

Wink Re: 3.5 Whipple on 496HO

Rob;
The stock pistons are cast hypereutectic with a very thin top land above the top ring. This is why they get in trouble with supercharging and not naturally aspirated. A little boost detonation and usually kaboom follows! We like to see the stock pistons stop at 550-575HP naturally aspirated and we go to forged above that. They live quite nicely at these levels.
There are lots of boats running Whipples on 496's making over 750HP with all new forged internal specially built longblocks and Bettitbig is one of them. I believe he destroyed his stock 496 twice before he switched over to a custom built block. Yes, reprogramming the Merc ECM on a 496 motor with a supercharger is a MUST!

Last edited by Raylar; 08-20-2006 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Rob;
The stock pistons are cast hypereutectic with a very thin top land above the top ring. This is why they get in trouble with supercharging and not naturally aspirated. A little boost detonation and usually kaboom follows! We like to see the stock pistons stop at 550-575HP naturally aspirated and we go to forged above that. They live quite nicely at these levels.
There are lots of boats running Whipples on 496's making over 750HP with all new forged internal specially built longblocks and Bettitbig is one of them. I believe he destroyed his stock 496 twice before he switched over to a custom built block. Yes, reprogramming the Merc ECM on a 496 motor with a supercharger is a MUST!
Ray thanks for the info!! I wonder how much boost and HP these set ups[modified 496's] will handle and what about the blocks??? I have never been into one of these motors and am curious about how there made etc...

rob

Old 08-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Registered

Smile Re: 3.5 Whipple on 496HO

I know of several 496's with reworked forged internal blocks and new heads that are using about 8lbs of boost and are making right at 825HP. I beleive the block can handle more boost but the 3.3 Whipple has not been out that long yet. I am sure someone will go for 10-12 lbs of boost and jump into the 900HP realm soon.

Ray @ Raylar
Old 08-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Rob
VIP Member

I know of several 496's with reworked forged internal blocks and new heads that are using about 8lbs of boost and are making right at 825HP. I beleive the block can handle more boost but the 3.3 Whipple has not been out that long yet. I am sure someone will go for 10-12 lbs of boost and jump into the 900HP realm soon.

Ray @ Raylar
Ray who else besides you makes heads for the 496?

Quick Reply: 3.5 Whipple on 496HO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.