Dart vs AFR heads on HP 500 >

Dart vs AFR heads on HP 500

Notices

Dart vs AFR heads on HP 500

Old 08-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dart vs AFR heads on HP 500

Boy let me tell ya all you guys are great, this is got to be the best forum i have seen yet, no BS and right to the meat of things. I will call RM to fine tune my project to achieve 600 hp on 500's, so far it looks like a soild build up would be the 315 full cnc AFR heads along with crane cams # 139741 or what rm would suggest, as well as roller lifters and rockers, along with the eddie marine 512's. I am hoping for a solid 85 mph set-up with this in mind. Once again thank you all for your input.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

As you can see, the AFR CNC'd exhaust ports the way they come from the factory are 20cfm better than the Dart Pro-1 exhaust port as ported by JimV-----------and with the JimV exhaust mods the AFR is 92cfm over the Dart.

Laszo, Bob Madara/"RMbuilder" can set you up with the AFR heads and a cam app as he has done for me and several others. Glad you liked the info.

Last edited by KAAMA; 08-18-2006 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:39 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,327 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Lazlo - Wags combo should the one your interested in. 1st reason why - started from same engine. #2 - the exhausts are very similar.

8mph from a LARGE 382 Fastech is terrific from a cam + head change.

This build always impresses me from a cost, engineeering, and results produced standpoint.

Originally Posted by WAGS382
I am a proud owner of two sets of 305 cc AFR's with cnc'd chambers.
They are on my HP 500 carb motors in a 382 Fastech. The only parts that are not original HP 500 are the heads, custom cams, lifters and push rods.
These motors made 620 HP @ 5500 rpm and have a strong Idle.
This is with the original 800 cfm Holley's and gil exhaust.
I have 280 hrs on these motors with no problems. The boat picked up a solid 8 mph on the top end with this upgrade, now running 82 mph.
As smitty said call Rmbuilder (aka bob madera) for all your valve train and afr's, He knows marine engines and how to get a 600+ HP 502.
Jeff
Old 08-18-2006, 06:41 AM
SB
Registered

Oops - just read you have silent choice. This forces the water to be introduced way earlier in your exhaust. This may cause issues. Talk to Bob (rm) before you finalize any choices.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:56 AM
Registered

Condor,

JimV has ported some of the Edelbrock aluminum heads for a guy in the Detroit area I believe about a year ago. Before JimV touched them they weren't that great out of the box. If you're going to buy new aluminum heads, then buy some of the better ones like the Dart, Brodix or better yet, the AFR's all with cnc'd porting. JimV was able to improve the flow on Edelbrock's, but even then I am not sure if he was able to still get close to the same kind of flow numbers that the other BIG name aftermarket head manufacturer's make. If you are going to buy new aluminum, then buy a better casting if you can. Otherwise, JimV can probably improve the flow on just about any head you have.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what about alum vs iron?
i hear afr is great, but i just replaced a set of alum heads which broke due to salt water for dart irons for long life. whats the life like on afr heads even after you flush them after every salt water use?

i would love to build a set of spares with afr heads but if they only last 8 yrs u think that would be a waste if the pwr gain is not to mch greater over dart? so far i love the darts!
Old 08-18-2006, 07:06 AM
rv
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kaama,
Thanks for posting that, I new you could dig that up!

Rick
Old 08-18-2006, 07:08 AM
SB
Registered

Kaama - that is true about the Edelbrock's. Yes, they are a decent head, but there are much better one's. I've talked to many head porting Guru's and they say that there are some design traits that you just can't ultimately get around when porting.

Others will instantly say - heh, Edelbrock makes the GMPP heads and Mercruiser's 525EFI heads so they are the same. I'd like to tell/remind people that THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. Don't fall victim to that assumption.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RoseBudRacing
what about alum vs iron?
i hear afr is great, but i just replaced a set of alum heads which broke due to salt water for dart irons for long life. whats the life like on afr heads even after you flush them after every salt water use?

i would love to build a set of spares with afr heads but if they only last 8 yrs u think that would be a waste if the pwr gain is not to mch greater over dart? so far i love the darts!
I am curious to know what brand of aluminum heads you had failed with the salt water. Have you heard of the "hard anodized" that some of the head manufacturer's offer as an option on the their aluminum heads to keep or help keep them from corrosion? When I had RMbuilder order my AFR's we ordered them with the hard anodizing, but I honestly don't know how well they have held up on anyone elses boat in salt water....maybe if they see this they can chime in and let us know.

Last edited by KAAMA; 08-18-2006 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
I am curious to know what brand of aluminum heads you had failed with the salt water. Have you heard of the "hard anodized" that some of the head manufacturer's offer as an option on the their aluminum heads to keep or help keep them from corrosion? When I had RMbuilder order my AFR's we ordered them with the hard anodizing, but I honestly don't know how well they have held up on anyone elses boat in salt water....maybe if they see this they can chime in and let us know.
i was running edelbrock heads. i dont believe they where anodized @ all. i think they where prob a jegs cat order, and where on the boat when i bought it. that is great to know, b/c seems like all are suggesting that afrs flow well

Quick Reply: Dart vs AFR heads on HP 500

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.