Notices

Dart vs AFR heads on HP 500

Old 08-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Dart vs AFR heads on HP 500

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Guess I can't argue too hard with you on that Dave! I wonder what the same engine would do with a cam where the I/E split is closer together on the same dyno...either way those are very good numbers and nice pick up in speed for a shelf cam. Guess I'll have to eat my words and sweat this one out!
Don't get me wrong...I think that if you were to try to squeeze out every ounce of horsepower, then a custom cam is for you! Rob and Chris are VERY qualified for the task! I have spoken with them both and have been impressed with their knowledge!

I was going to try my idea and see how the motor performed with an off the shelf cam. I'm not complaining!

As far as dyno tuning....That has been argued many, many times too. The real dyno is on the boat and in the water. Dyno's are are great asset for break in and base line tuning. That's what they should be used for! I had my first motor on the dyno for a month trying different exhaust, rockers, and carb spacers untill I got the combo right! I didn't believe the numbers untill I drove the boat!

Dave
Old 08-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by axapowell
Don't get me wrong...I think that if you were to try to squeeze out every ounce of horsepower, then a custom cam is for you!
we have seen 40+hp going from some of the most popular OTS cams to custom stuff that is spec'd and ground from a nascar cam guy. Not to mention a much better steel cam core than the usual sadi cores.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Registered

Hey KAAMA,

Speaking of the Hustler at Dave's shop how's that project look
Just anxiously waiting
Old 08-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Glenn---Lookin' real good...the hard part is over so, you're on the down hill slide for sure! Last I knew/saw Dave has both long blocks assembled....just needs to bolt on intakes, carbs, distributors, and externals and they'll be ready to be dyno'd. Heck, I'm anxious to see for ma own durn self what they're going to do!
Old 08-27-2006, 03:13 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,327 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Originally Posted by woody1
Not to mention a much better steel cam core than the usual sadi cores.
Exactly. Most people (including cam tech line people...doh) don't know about different cores available. This is one of the big reasons I consult cust cam designers.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Registered

As promised, here are the flow measurements that Jim V. did on my AFR 345 as cast heads:
Attached Files
File Type: doc
AFR 345 Flow #s.doc (24.5 KB, 163 views)
Old 10-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Registered

Please note that the numbers for the out of the box "as cast" heads are pretty far off what AFR advertises. I asked Jim V. about it and he said that is normally what he sees, even with their CNC heads. He apparently has had discussions with them in the past about this and they claim it's how they do it - the size of the test bore, how you hold the pipe, etc... Sounds like B.S. on AFR's part to me. They're still pretty good flowing heads though.

Check out Jim V.'s ported figures, though. In fact, the best Intake port flows 411cfm @ .800" lift and the best Exhaust 350 cfm @.800" w/ the pipe. I can't wait to stick these suckers on my 540 bottom end and put about 10lbs of boost through them!
Old 10-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Afr's numbers are right on for the intakes on my 335 cnc's. The exhausts are close but they are using a pipe, which they don't point out. With porting they will match the exhaust numbers without the pipe. The .600 lift numbers are the best I've seen for any conventional head.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Registered

I have 357 magnum AFR heads on my 588 Procharged motor and in the same 26' Daytona they are much stronger than the previous heads I have run. Unfortunately I have no dyno numbers for this particular combination. We flowed these heads against a set of 355 Darts's and actually the Darts were 4 cfm stronger at .700 lift, on the same bench. Both exhausts were very close at .700. I will point out that the AFR heads were a little stronger at .500, .600, .650, on the intake side. Overall they were very close. I would say that given the quality of both CNC heads, go with the best deal.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:52 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,327 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Carl Foltz's Bad Mutha' Fuggers.....I mean BMF's. On the convential head topic.

Quick Reply: Dart vs AFR heads on HP 500

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.