msd or thunderbolt 4 >

msd or thunderbolt 4

Notices

msd or thunderbolt 4

Old 08-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pleased that MSD is following this thread. I used the Thunderbolt IV system in racing and pleasure flawlessly for 15 years. Racing was 1hr+ at 5000-6500+RPM....never a issue and used the same (2) Merc distributors with the same (2) Merc V-6boxes for the entire time. I changed the caps and rotors annually and the pick-up in the distributors about every 2-4 years.
We switched to a MSD mechanical system in 2002.
IMO, the MSD mechanical distributor is a PITA and shouldn't be marketed for a marine application. We could only get the boat to idle when we finally locked-out the advance feature, but that is not how it is sold. I was convinced we could fix it, but was wrong.
MSD, your marine customers have a high probability of struggling with the idle in an out of gear with the MSD Marine System...the timing keeps moving along with the RPM.
I'll be positive, why not market an MSD marine ignition system with an electronic advance instead a converted automotive based design? MSD could offer one electronic advance box (CG approved) with choices for multiple advance curves and a rev limiter and move into 1st place.
I will be your first customer for two of the new systems and sell my existing MSD in the OSO Swap Shop to someone who hasn't read this thread
Ben