Hey engine guys

Notices

Hey engine guys

Old 08-23-2006, 05:53 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Default Re: Hey engine guys

Back to rigging - I'm stuck on that for now.

Where same oil coolers and lines used from engine blow up to engine blow up?

Where the oil lines installed in the correct position ? IE: in's and outs of block adapter and oil filter adapter ? This has been messed up by even competent people a bunch of times.

What kind of oil filters where used - any chance the same type , part #, every time ?

Was fuel pump 'vent' line hooked up to flame arrestor vent or accidently to carburetor vacuum port ? Seen hooked up to vacuum port a bunch of times - this results in low fuel psi....engine damaging low.

Is fuel psi being monitored ?

Is oil temperature being monitored ?

Has water flow been checked and every conceivable orifice that flows water black flushed and checked ?

Where engine's tuned (carb + timing) on dyno or very first trip starting with idle, then low speed just off idle, and then slowly up to heavy load - 75% or so + ?

Sorry for all the questions but with so many motors #1 I feel really bad for you and #2 you can only blame bad engine luck for so long before you thing 'there has got to be something else.'
Old 08-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Back to rigging - I'm stuck on that for now.

Where same oil coolers and lines used from engine blow up to engine blow up?

No, new oil lines and coolers each time a problem comes up, expensive as hell, but the only way I know to avoid that horror feel of knowing it was not done right before starting.

Originally Posted by SB
Where the oil lines installed in the correct position ? IE: in's and outs of block adapter and oil filter adapter ? This has been messed up by even competent people a bunch of times.
After reading that here I ask installer (also merc tech) to double check, and the guy who has it now said oil lines rigged okay.

Originally Posted by SB
What kind of oil filters where used - any chance the same type , part #, every time ?
Different filters, motor one was Fram Racing, Motor two was K&N

Originally Posted by SB
Was fuel pump 'vent' line hooked up to flame arrestor vent or accidently to carburetor vacuum port ? Seen hooked up to vacuum port a bunch of times - this results in low fuel psi....engine damaging low.
Fuel vent lines were okay, FIRST installer started to blow that off and I insisted so now I am sensitive.

Originally Posted by SB
Is fuel psi being monitored ?
No, new guages came late Friday, to late to put them in, new installer has them now.

Originally Posted by SB
Is oil temperature being monitored ?
No, Same as fuel psi

Originally Posted by SB
Has water flow been checked and every conceivable orifice that flows water black flushed and checked ?
no, they were new crate motors, we did not check this

Originally Posted by SB
Where engine's tuned (carb + timing) on dyno or very first trip starting with idle, then low speed just off idle, and then slowly up to heavy load - 75% or so + ?
yes, with several checks along the way to verify plugs looked good and all.

Originally Posted by SB
Sorry for all the questions but with so many motors #1 I feel really bad for you and #2 you can only blame bad engine luck for so long before you thing 'there has got to be something else.'

Don't be sorry man, I apprecieate the questions, and I konw SOMETHING has to be going on. I am not used to this schite, I am used to doing it right, do it once, and do not re-do it, now I am re-doing it ALOT, and I am at wits ends, and a bunch of other guys who do this frequently are standing around scratching their head too......
Old 08-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dean ... what Exhaust ?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
Dean ... what Exhaust ?
lightening headers, they are being pressure checked, but I have no indication of water injestion or reverberation, the motor went down while running at a steady 3800 RPM...
Old 08-24-2006, 06:07 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The plug pics are very blurry, but those porcilines look very white to me.
What do your mechanics say about plug readings?
Old 08-24-2006, 07:14 AM
Registered

mechanics say plugs look fine, a little heavy on the fuel, sorry for the low quality pics of the plugs, hard to get close enough for detail and still keep focus.

There is a slight tinge of tan, no heavy soiling, or aluminum stanning...
Old 08-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Registered

Just had a second, never before sene the boat merc tech look at oil lines, with Dean Gellner so adamant about tripple checking that I pulled another favor from a different client and got another opinion. All oil lines are installed correctly, both the merc techs who have looked at boat say the prior rigging looked very good.

Maybe I am just having a bad run of luck with motors, after weeks of beating this HARD we can not find anyhting to indicate a rigging problem, everything points to over tight bearings......

I will keep everyone posted on what 1800runsnew.com says, and how they respond. So far they have been excellent, within 3 days of calling for a pick up on the motor that went down they had a truck there to pick it up. Would have been two days but trucking company had a problem.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't be surprised if they tell you that you over rev ed it.
That is a common used reason for denying your claim
Old 08-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
Don't be surprised if they tell you that you over rev ed it.
That is a common used reason for denying your claim
they may, but I had a certified merc tech with me when it went, and about 20 minutes before we went out we put the timing light on it to check the tach against the timing light, there is less than 50 RPM difference in the two at 4700 RPM's. I was concerned about that with a new motor.

We were running 3800 RPM when it went, and had only twisted it to 4700 prior to that.

So far the guys at 1800runsnew.com have been very straight with me, so I hope you are incorrect, as I am sure you do.

Man, we have beat this to death, trying to find the problem, but so far, we can find nothing relating to fuel, oil, oil filtering or dirt, heat, ignition, water flow, water ingestion or reverberation, or anything else. I sincerely wish someone could put a finger on something we are doing, if so I could fix it, but as it stands now, it looks like everything external to the #5 and/or 6 rod bearings is in exceptional condition and working as intended.

I will keep everyone posted as to what they said was the problem, and how they address this situation. The motor was picked up Friday.