bravo1 shifting problems >

bravo1 shifting problems

Notices

bravo1 shifting problems

Old 08-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bravo1 shifting problems

My drive is hard to put into reverse all of a sudden, sometimes it won’t even go, but it seems okay into forward. The cables seem okay, any thoughts?
Old 08-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: bravo1 shifting problems

Mine did the same thing a couple of seasons ago, and this might help. Try this...take the rear plate off the out drive. There is a spring loaded ball mechanism behind the plate. The ball/spring mechanism when centered, locates neutral at the shift lever. The mechanism and cavity where its is located can get corroded, and crap/crud can accumulate. When you take the cover off, clean the ball/detente mechanism, and clean out any crud in the cavity where it is located. I used gasoline and carb cleaner. Dry everything off completely and use a good marine grease on the ball/spring mechanism. NOTE: there's a rubber gasket between the plate and OD. I removed it, cleaned it, put a very light goat of grease on it, and re-installed it along with the plate. Probably should have replaced it.

Hope this helps...
Old 08-28-2006, 05:30 AM
Registered

Sounds like something to try, but i'm not clear on what plate you are talking about. Do i leave the drive on? is the plate you are talking about righ below the top cover? I guess i will have to drain soem oil of course.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:05 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Yes, thar would be the plate he is talking about. However, when Mine acted like yours, my problem was the cable from the transome to the drive.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Registered

Could be the adjustment of the cables down at the engine.

If you have a left hand rotation prop it pushes into reverse and it could be a broken shift cable cladding between the transom and the drive. Not very likely if it is a right hand prop.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Registered

need new cone in uppers
Old 08-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gerry Hensen
Sounds like something to try, but i'm not clear on what plate you are talking about. Do i leave the drive on? is the plate you are talking about righ below the top cover? I guess i will have to drain soem oil of course.
Sorry, I should have been more specific on the plate location. Yes, it is the plate just below the top cap. Checking behind the back plate for corrosion/crud is a good/basic place to start. Could be the fix will be a cheap and simple clean and lube. If not, stay tuned, and hopefully one of these guys can be of further help.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

The cover also covers an area where grease is so it is a cleaner job if you drain the outdrive fluid first.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It fixed that very problem on my old boat.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Registered

Idle set too high can cause this too, but usually the same degree of difficulty going into forward or reverse.

BT

Quick Reply: bravo1 shifting problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.