502 MPI idle speed >

502 MPI idle speed

Notices

502 MPI idle speed

Old 08-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: 502 MPI idle speed

just some added insight, i remember now that the last two clicks of the morse throttle control does not change the rpms, so i don't think it's a cable. I would like to try the idle screw adjustment, i will just move a little, and put back if no change is noticed.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave_N
Agree that you should check the throttle cable to see of it's sticking a little and not allowing the throttle plates to hit the stop.

I do not agree that you should mess with the throttle plate stop screws unless you have ruled out all other causes and have a scan tool on the engine while you adjust it.

You have to first establish if the ECM is driving the high idle (high Desired Idle Speed) or if the engine is not able to achive the Desired Idle Speed due to other causes (misadjusted throttle cable, vacuum leak, bad IAC, etc.)

Dave
This is good stuff to know, but i wanted to be able to exhaust my chances of fixing it in house before taking it to a shop
Old 08-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
This is good stuff to know, but i wanted to be able to exhaust my chances of fixing it in house before taking it to a shop
I can understand that. However, you really have no chance of fixing the problem by adjusting the throttle plate stop screws. You are treating a symptom, not the problem. I would recommend trying it if I thought on any level that it would help.

Not trying to bum you out, but you will need a scan tool to properly diagnose and repair this problem.

Dave
Old 08-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Registered

Well, i found something else out from the previous owner. I did know that the engine was modified, but to what extent i did not know. He told me that the pistons have been replaced with i believe to be JE pistons? It apparently has a different cam and crane roller rockers, so apparently has a full roller valve train now. He also told me that the rev limiter was increased to 5300 and that it had a Tyler Crocket program now?? He does not know if he has any of the paperwork for the engine rebuild, got destroyed during a divorse. So it may be hard for me to get any further details. But he is telling me that i should leave the idle alone. Not sure what to do at this point...........
Old 08-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may be in luck. Tyler is a member here and can probably tell you exactly what was done to it and whether he turns the idle up. It may have to have a higher idle to prevent water reversion with the different cam.
You could either PM him through the board or go to:

http://www.crockettmarineengines.com/contact.html
Old 08-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by insptech
You may be in luck. Tyler is a member here and can probably tell you exactly what was done to it and whether he turns the idle up. It may have to have a higher idle to prevent water reversion with the different cam.
You could either PM him through the board or go to:

http://www.crockettmarineengines.com/contact.html
problem is, i don't know who did the actual engine work, i think just the computer was sent to him. Hopefully the previous owner can shine some light on it, but it doesn't look good.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought we were talking about a stock engine, but my posts above still apply. Did I mention needing a scan tool?

Dave
Old 08-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave_N
I thought we were talking about a stock engine, but my posts above still apply. Did I mention needing a scan tool?

Dave
so are you saying that with the above mentioned upgrades, 600 would still be the appropriate rpm??
Old 08-29-2006, 03:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not very likely that someone has changed the idle. Still, the way to find out is to follow Dave´s proposed actions; throttle cable, IAC, vacuum leaks. If it still idles too high it may be the throttleplates or TPS out of adjustment or that someone has in fact programmed it to idle at 750-800.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:02 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
so are you saying that with the above mentioned upgrades, 600 would still be the appropriate rpm??
If it has a cam with more tendency for reversion then a higher idle speed would be called for to prevent it from pulling water into the cylinders at idle. Tyler may have done that when he reprogrammed it.

Quick Reply: 502 MPI idle speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.