Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
OSO Tech Line Opinion >

OSO Tech Line Opinion

Notices
View Poll Results: OSO Tech Line Poll - Were these motors over fueled?
Yes
5.13%
No
74.36%
Unable To Tell
20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

OSO Tech Line Opinion

Old 09-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OSO Tech Line Opinion

OOP's I hit tthe yes as i was talking on the phone.... Move that to a no.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, I thought the guy from 1800 runscrew had come on to vote

Dean, I put a call in to the guy up there, he may be off today for the holiday. I'll get on it Tuesday AM if I don't hear back this afternoon.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dean, are the clearances different on 5 and 6? I had a 800runsnew crate motor that spun number 6 this year. Can't complain though I had over 500 hours on the bottom end. 300 hundred of the last were with a blower on top. Prior to the blower I did not have enough cam for the carb I was running and it would make your eye water. It live a long time this way.

A side note on my 800runsnew motor. After I spun the bearing I took it to my machine shop. He put forged piston and new H beam rods in it. When installing the timing chain we discovered that the block had been line bored. I thought I bought a new block. Machinist said he has rarely seen a line bored block come from GM yet mine was a virgin from runsnew? WTF? Anyway I waited 3 months for short timing chain set from Cloyes. Check your block for line boring.

I agree, check the other bearings for signs. What is with the white paint inside the block?
Old 09-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 118 Posts

Dean,
Cannot tell for sure which cylinder it is, but in the second post of this thread, the bottom picur, far left cylinder looks like it is starting to burn the piston from detonation. If so, that will probably void any warranty. Also, unless the seller is doing some type of warranty, I did not think that GM's crate engines were warrantied for marine use ?

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 09-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Registered

these are marine engines, the name of the company is MARINE ENGINES INC. The pic is not as clear as possible, it was taken for discussion purposes only, but all agree no signs of detonation.

Last edited by dean51267; 09-01-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dean51267
these are marine engines, the name of the company is MARINE ENGINES INC. The pic is not as clear as possible, it was taken for discussion purposes only, but all agree no signs of detonation.
If they are "GM" crate engines..They are not marine...
The seller can call them what they want...the builder {GM}
Says they are not marine.
GM builds them on a line and there is no way they mic every journal for clearance. Tight and sloppy will run forever in a car but, not under the load in a boat.
I am far from being an engine builder {Very far } but,
no way thats over-fueled..I think tight clearances
Good luck
Old 09-05-2006, 07:16 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by birdog
If they are "GM" crate engines..They are not marine...
The seller can call them what they want...the builder {GM}
Says they are not marine.
Are you thinking of GMPP crate engines ? Those are different - those are not for marine.

GM does build marine engines:
http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower...rine/index.htm
Old 09-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Allan 4 is a putz
Old 09-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Registered

oil analysis is done, it was pulled by QM Watersports, they were not the installer. When the motor went down we immediately took it to QM Watersports who pulled the motors. This was done to prevent someone from saying the oil sample was not accurate. QM Watersports is independent of this mess. They had the report sent to them, and faxed the report to me once received. It came this morning.

Given what has been posted here, and conversations with JK, owner of Marine Engines, Inc, I can say this is a company who does not warranty their product as promised. At no time will he allow any conversations regarding oil analysis, burn patterns in cylinders, no bluing from heat on rods, why only 2 rod bearings failed and the others did not, or other quantifiable metrics which allow for post failure analysis. His determination of rod bearing failure is that the motor smelled like gas, so it must be gas related, despite four independent witnesses who were present when the motor was tore down who said the motor did not smell of gasoline.

Bottomline, the guy will not even allow a discussion of warranting a motor, has retracted his warranty, now states it must be rebuilt at a cost of $45/hr, and no warranty for associated cost. When we discussed cam duration because I was running lightening headers they stated GM will not give cam specs, I ask if the motor reverberated because the cam was to big, but I did not know because cam specs were not given, and I have a reverberation problem, what happens, he stated "we send you a new motor and money for installation". (Lightening says with a cam with greater than 240 duration reverberation is possible, which started the discussion).

He became vulgar, abusive, and threatening saying "courts do not take affidavits so if you want to sue me you will have to bring your experts up here, try and pay that instead of paying me to fix it", called me a lying SOB, and a lot of other things.

I have tried HARD to be objective and rational, VERY hard, but the efforts have reaped no reward...........
Old 09-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Registered

oil analysis
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
oil analysis.pdf (28.8 KB, 174 views)

Quick Reply: OSO Tech Line Opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.