Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
OSO Tech Line Opinion >

OSO Tech Line Opinion

Notices
View Poll Results: OSO Tech Line Poll - Were these motors over fueled?
Yes
5.13%
No
74.36%
Unable To Tell
20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

OSO Tech Line Opinion

Old 09-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OSO Tech Line Opinion

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
If he's claiming fuel in oil, the oil analysis is all that matters.

Remind him that once you have your expert fly to his county to testify and you win, he'll be the one paying for it- and your travel and your attorney's.

You can also get an expert in his county for much less- also an attorney.

I do not know why it has to be in MASS, and not in KY. If someone is going to be traveling or flying experts, I do not think it wil be me.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Registered

lower end of motor pics
Attached Thumbnails OSO Tech Line Opinion-2006_0101willettscott0033.jpg   OSO Tech Line Opinion-2006_0101willettscott0034.jpg   OSO Tech Line Opinion-2006_0101willettscott0035.jpg  

Old 09-15-2006, 03:36 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Maybe get a phone # from here :
http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower...rine/index.htm

Maybe one of these places will get you a phone # ?

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower...ed/listing.htm
Old 09-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Registered

I wanted a build sheet for a gm "marine" crate motor and was told by my selling dealer the same thing. There is none. I e-mailed the contact link on gm marine web site and did get a prompt reply with a # to call. If the placard is on the side of the block you can get a build sheet for a fee. I still don't believe they don't come with the block. I think all these guys selling crate motors are hiding something and none of them give me that warm fuzzy feeling inside. Went back to mercs , one threw a rod after 20 hours. Merc picked up the labor and replaced the block. Only question I was asked was what oil did I have in it. Of course , merc 20-50. Can't find the # must be on my puter at home. I'll add it here later.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Registered

Please do....

Surveyor says motor was dirty from assembly process and lack of cleaning, from oil sample said the only way that stuff that was there was it came from machining process. Occasionally once the blocks are honed some of the metal and other stuff gets clogged in the oil galley. When the motor gets hot and under pressure it comes lose, goes through bearings, and wipes it out. It is not a common problem, but among failed motors is one of the most common reasons when manufacturer is at fault. Guy does ~15 expert witness things a year.

Motors are NOT GM, GM says they have NO relationship as a vendor with Marine Engines Inc, or 1800RUNSNEW. Not through GM, GM Powertrain, or any subsidiary, which is why the guy does not want to warrant it.

Sad part is the guy has sold a LOT of motors, most of them good, but when a fluke thing happens and it is obvious just one of those things that happens, he comes up with a story that makes him sound horribly uneducated on motors, lies about what his expert said, accuses everyone in the world of fraud, and absolutely, staunchly, no matter what, will not listen to any reason. And when I say someone is horribly uneducated on motors, it is a very bad thing...

I do not doubt he has sold some good motors, but they are NOT GM motors, I think they have someone in a back room cooking up stuff and he is just calling it GM stuff so guys buy it, like I did.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:12 AM
Registered

I went to 1800RUNSNEW website and I don't understand how they can say that there 502 crate is rated at 435 hp. When a GM Crate 502 is 415 hp. I never heard of a GM Marine Crate rated at 435 hp coming from the factory.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:43 AM
Registered

Vandeano, 415 was the Mk IV output. 435-450 is Gen 6 output.

Dean, I am trying to understand what M.E. is doing to create a 'marine' motor.

A) does your block have a (5 digit) number and 'UBCI' written in paint pen on the rear of the block casting?

B) does it have an aluminum tag affixed to the block saying 'manufactured for GENERAL MOTORS', and a serial number stamped on it?

I used to work at the machining plant in Howell, MI (Uniboring, now Diversified) that machined (they were sold to another company AND then lost the contract) blocks and heads for Merc SPO.

I bought a 1-800 Gen 6 502 and it has these identifiers, same as I saw that were being used at the machining company.

However, it is possible that ME has been purchasing the Automotive version of these engines from them, and changing the pans, as they also produced the Auto 454 and 502's, These, too, were assembled at another company, PAS, (Performance Auto Specialities, IIRC, in Livonia, MI). Both Companies WERE owned, at least partially, by a guy called (Fecundo?) Bravo.

For the record, Mine was torn down and inspected, lightened rebalanced with flywheel and reassembled by a local builder. Dyno time only.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stingray69

A) does your block have a (5 digit) number and 'UBCI' written in paint pen on the rear of the block casting?

No, paper stickers only....
Originally Posted by Stingray69

B) does it have an aluminum tag affixed to the block saying 'manufactured for GENERAL MOTORS', and a serial number stamped on it?

No, no metal tag...
I had the mechanic check it out, I did not remember these things on the motors, but wanted him to check. I have pulled the other motor and am going to send him a registered letter tomorrow saying come pick it up, and protest the credit card charges.

Bottom line, there is no warranty with these motors, they are not GM motors, and I am now convinced the guy who runs the place is a liar, I have caught him in a dozen of them.

I am looking for stock, GM stuff, where if there is a problem a GM rep shows up and makes warranty decisions. The motor I got had not been cleaned properly prior to assembly, according to the guy who did the engine failure analysis it was likely a fluke, probably some material from the machining process got hung in an oil passage and did not come out during cleaning, and then under heat and pressure it came loose, went to the bearings, and ate them. It is the only explanation that makes sense. Again, almost certainly a fluke, one in 1,000, but it is what it is, there is no way that other stuff could have gotten into the oil, and there was none of it in hte other oil.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Are you thinking of GMPP crate engines ? Those are different - those are not for marine.

GM does build marine engines:
http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower...rine/index.htm
I should have been clearer....Only the "Vortec" engines...8.1 and small block stuff....I read somewhere that Merc bought all the 502 tooling from GM awhile back ?

Dean...I would think the states Attorneys generals office would be interested in false advertising . No ?