Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Latest Powerboat mag - "Power Brokers" article... >

Latest Powerboat mag - "Power Brokers" article...

Notices

Latest Powerboat mag - "Power Brokers" article...

Old 09-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Latest Powerboat mag - "Power Brokers" article...

I just read an interesting comment in the Oct/Nov issue of Powerboat in the "Power Brokers" feature describing most high performance marine engine builders offerings. On page 72 Tyler Crockett says:

"What we're currently working on is a new 6.2-liter small-block. They're going to be doing away with the 496 in a few years and replacing it with a new big cubic-inch small-block."

This probably means nothing to the vast majority of you with big blocks, but for someone like me with a twin 6.2 292 Formula Fastech, it gives me hope that there will FINALLY be some high performance focus on the small block. There currently is nobody in the high performance marine engine business (that I know of) developing performance packages geared to the 6.2. Now maybe there's some hope!!

If this is true, I wonder if Raylar knows "they" (I assume Mercury) will be "doing away" with the 496??
Old 09-07-2006, 07:08 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,167 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Default Re: Latest Powerboat mag - "Power Brokers" article...

The parts are out there, many builders have already been involved with big cid small blocks, it's just the customers are a lot fewer than the big block guys. Thus, the smaller media coverage.

Small blocks are already going up into the 480cid range.

Once you get into the 454cid range, the $$$ does get quite large. Not huge, but large. Mild 500hp 500ft/lb motors are quite easy to build here.

The street/strip guys have been doing 454cid SBC's for years. 10:1 motors are making around 600hp and 570+ft/lbs.

The strip only motors are, of course, way, way past that.

Here's
Shafiroff's crate 'street' 472cid SBC's in various flavors:
http://www.ultrastreet.net/472_675_engine.asp
http://www.ultrastreet.net/472_675_engine.asp

Last edited by SB; 09-07-2006 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, I'm aware of all those big-inch small blocks, but they are combinations geared for the street. But I would like to see naturally aspirated and blown packages with electronic fuel injection specifically designed for marine use that are already dialed-in and proven reliable for marine use (like the HUNDREDS of big block packages). Or maybe kits for upgrading the existing 6.2 like Raylar does for the 496. Heck, the stock 6.2 only holds 4.25 quarts of oil! A bigger pan and and probably an oil cooler would be first on the list.

Has anyone else heard the 496 will be phased out?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Latest Powerboat mag - "Power Brokers" article...

Going with less cubes will inevitably mean going to "strokers with dual overhead cams..4 valves/cyl etc.

My take...durability will suffer.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:21 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,167 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
Yes, I'm aware of all those big-inch small blocks, but they are combinations geared for the street. But I would like to see naturally aspirated and blown packages with electronic fuel injection specifically designed for marine use that are already dialed-in and proven reliable for marine use (like the HUNDREDS of big block packages). Or maybe kits for upgrading the existing 6.2 like Raylar does for the 496. Heck, the stock 6.2 only holds 4.25 quarts of oil! A bigger pan and and probably an oil cooler would be first on the list.

Has anyone else heard the 496 will be phased out?
Oh, I gotchya' - you are talking OEM stuff.

I think a LS7 marine package would be extremely schweet !!!
Old 09-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

As some of you guys know our background in racing goes back into the 80's and most of the engine combos we used to build were small blocks for the smaller offshore classes. Our experience in stock car and sprint car engines gave us the ability to build some of the fastest v bottom small blocks in the country from records in the Mississippi river challenge and countless races all over the country we still build and maintain many stock car and sprint car engines but we don't get many calls for small block power for boating anymore. We build marine small blocks in n/a and blown applications for pleasure and racing that really make big power. I'm currently working on a twin turbo small block set up. SIncerely Laz