Need some tech advice from engine techs

Notices

Need some tech advice from engine techs

Old 09-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: Need some tech advice from engine techs

Dean:

I've been kind of following these posts and your problem with this motor from this engine (supplier). If it is truly a GM Powertrain new remaned or outright new GM Powertrain motor. Gm Powertrain is good about warranting their motors to an authorized GM Powertrain reseller like this MA. Dealer. You should verify this motor was an actual GM Powertrain engine with associated paperwork and make a contact with the GM Powertrain Rep for that region. If the dealer has sold you GM Powertrain and switched the product on you, you could be in for what sounds like a somewhat vicious battle.
Looking at the oil sample printout you've posted the moderate levels of copper, tin and lead should be from the bearing damage and failure. The companies statement of overfueling does not seem to be supported by the oil analysis which does not show fuel or antifree contamination from the sample. Sounds like you've just got a motor that was either not clearenced and set up right, possibly not primed with oil properly and just had serious mechanical crank, rod and bearing issues.
The real dilema here is that the warranty only appears to be as good as the integrity of the company providing it. You probably could proceed with legal remedies, but the cost could exceed the potential recovery.
This is a tough position for any high performance boater to get in and its generally a tough one to settle equitably unless you can get GM Powertrain to step up if its really their product.
Good Luck to you, hope it works out better than it started.
As a piece of advice here to all potential marine high performance engine buyers, Check out the reputation and get real references from others who have had dealings with these so called "engine companies" before you plunk down your hard earned money! and remember, good high perfromance marine motors generaly don't come out of a crate! Just some thoughts and suggestions here.

Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need some tech advice from engine techs

Originally Posted by Raylar
Dean:

Ray @ Raylar

Thanks for your insight, I thought I had covered every possible base, every part in the engine compartment directly related to the engine fuel, exhaust, or oil system was new, and good quality stuff. I checked references, ask questions, etc, etc, etc.

Now I am stuck hiring high end warranty claims adjustor's to make professional reports and reach conclusions to bring the matter to close.

The seller DOES NOT sell GM authorized motors, he has back up, run side ways, and ducked and dived at every option. This is what I bought and was sold ,but nt what was delivered. I have tried EXTREMELY hard to be professional straight forward, but direct in addressing facts, only to be cussed, call a liar, and insulted. In his defense, right after the last cussing where I was told "I am a stubborn old man who will fight this till hell freezes and you will have to drag your "experts" up here to fight it and I will make it horribly expensive" I received a letter offering a discount on a new motor.

I called his machine shop, who he has been adamant in saying he confirmed the fuel wash down theory, and the shop owner said he could not reach a conclusion as to failure analysis.

I had to deal with the seller saying I over fueled the motor and it "reeked " of gasoline when it arrived, despite is being shipped as separate short block, heads and oil pan and the shipping company stating they will not pick up something that smells of gasoline because it is an explosion hazard and the driver specifically stating the motor did not smell of gasoline, as well as 100 plus witnesses stating the motor ran great prior to coming apart. Just one more lie I have to contend with. Once I said I was pulling samples he said "I do not have enoguh oil to pull a competing sample, so I will contest yours", so I hired a third party to take oil samples, just mroe schite...

So now I am down to scientific examination of every detail, with third party verification of every assertion or fact, and hiring third part experts to make conclusions. I suspect it will take a court case to get this resolved. The worst part, these are NOT GM Crate motors, they are something cooked up in someones garage.

I know 95% of the time the motor is good, 4% of the time the installer screws up, and 1% the assembly causes failure, so have been extremely slow to point a finger, but now it appears that is all that is left. I just hope I can have a constructive conversation tomorrow, I have reached the end of my ability to take a cussing form someone who lied about what he is selling, how he warranties it, and has way to many secrets to hide.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a little something for you Dean. Per our discussions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
3mdisc.pdf (24.3 KB, 453 views)
Old 09-14-2006, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 862 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by dean51267
Thanks for your insight, I thought I had covered every possible base, every part in the engine compartment directly related to the engine fuel, exhaust, or oil system was new, and good quality stuff. I checked references, ask questions, etc, etc, etc.

Now I am stuck hiring high end warranty claims adjustor's to make professional reports and reach conclusions to bring the matter to close.

The seller DOES NOT sell GM authorized motors, he has back up, run side ways, and ducked and dived at every option. This is what I bought and was sold ,but nt what was delivered. I have tried EXTREMELY hard to be professional straight forward, but direct in addressing facts, only to be cussed, call a liar, and insulted. In his defense, right after the last cussing where I was told "I am a stubborn old man who will fight this till hell freezes and you will have to drag your "experts" up here to fight it and I will make it horribly expensive" I received a letter offering a discount on a new motor.

I called his machine shop, who he has been adamant in saying he confirmed the fuel wash down theory, and the shop owner said he could not reach a conclusion as to failure analysis.

I had to deal with the seller saying I over fueled the motor and it "reeked " of gasoline when it arrived, despite is being shipped as separate short block, heads and oil pan and the shipping company stating they will not pick up something that smells of gasoline because it is an explosion hazard and the driver specifically stating the motor did not smell of gasoline, as well as 100 plus witnesses stating the motor ran great prior to coming apart. Just one more lie I have to contend with. Once I said I was pulling samples he said "I do not have enoguh oil to pull a competing sample, so I will contest yours", so I hired a third party to take oil samples, just mroe schite...

So now I am down to scientific examination of every detail, with third party verification of every assertion or fact, and hiring third part experts to make conclusions. I suspect it will take a court case to get this resolved. The worst part, these are NOT GM Crate motors, they are something cooked up in someones garage.

I know 95% of the time the motor is good, 4% of the time the installer screws up, and 1% the assembly causes failure, so have been extremely slow to point a finger, but now it appears that is all that is left. I just hope I can have a constructive conversation tomorrow, I have reached the end of my ability to take a cussing form someone who lied about what he is selling, how he warranties it, and has way to many secrets to hide.
They don't have Roccard building their motors do they? Smitty
Old 09-14-2006, 06:53 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Their advertising says "Brand New GM Marine"

Even if they say 'New' that is illegal. They could use 'like new' or 'Newly built' or something loose like that. But 'New, Real Deal GM Marine' is just that.

New = from the manufacturer with all new components and never run. Furthermore, if a part is removed/reinstalled/etc is is no longer just "New" but must also state what was done.

I have recommended these motors sparingly in the past since I was under impression that these where 'NEW from GM' engines and now that this info has come out, I will no longer do so.

I will also try to remove them from my memory so I can't even mention there name when someone asks about new/reman engine possibilbilities. Who are we talking about ? LOL.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:54 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,431 Posts

I like to change my term 'I assumed.'

It's not assuming when you read this:

http://www.1800runsnew.com/newgm.htm
Old 09-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
The real dilema here is that the warranty only appears to be as good as the integrity of the company providing it. You probably could proceed with legal remedies, but the cost could exceed the potential recovery.
This is a tough position for any high performance boater to get in and its generally a tough one to settle equitably unless you can get GM Powertrain to step up if its really their product.
As a piece of advice here to all potential marine high performance engine buyers, Check out the reputation and get real references from others who have had dealings with these so called "engine companies" before you plunk down your hard earned money! and remember, good high perfromance marine motors generaly don't come out of a crate! Just some thoughts and suggestions here. Ray @ Raylar
Well said! Been there/done that. A few years ago I had sent my engines down to Charlotte, N.C. to some smooth talkin' engine builders. The one handling the deal said he was working for Hendrick's Motorsports where NASCAR engines are built. I had to learn the hard way....those guys were some real cons!

Do your homework on these guys/shops BEFORE you entrust your engines and money to them!!!!