Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Found Copper & Silver metal in oil filter... >

Found Copper & Silver metal in oil filter...

Notices

Found Copper & Silver metal in oil filter...

Old 09-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Found Copper & Silver metal in oil filter...

I will send mine from the failed motor in an e-mail......... I am at home and it is at the office.........

Not sure what else it could show that the noil does not, which is why you have it done, cause no one knows what it has to say.....

If it was big $$$ it would be different, but for less than $30, I think I would want to make sure there is nothing left untold....
Old 09-15-2006, 07:35 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dean51267
I will send mine from the failed motor in an e-mail......... I am at home and it is at the office.........

Not sure what else it could show that the noil does not, which is why you have it done, cause no one knows what it has to say.....

If it was big $$$ it would be different, but for less than $30, I think I would want to make sure there is nothing left untold....

Good point... I guess the best answer I could get was what I already know... I'll give it go this weekend.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Blue,
Is your filter after the cooler?? Some say it is better to filter hot oil, and replace the cooler. I think having the filter after the cooler will catch what debris is left in the cooler.
I had an oil psi issue this past weekend and found my guage is reading low compared to a mechanical gauge. But I did open my filter and found a lot of metal after tearing the paperapart. I do not see any copper material. I had an engine builder tell me to look at the pieces and if you see silver on one side and copper on the other side.. It is definitly bearing material.

I am wondering if others have the experience of opening oil filters over time to see what a good engine produces in the line of debris in the filter??I think the oil analysis is good, but takes a long time. In my case the oil psi looks good at idle.. 185* oil temp at 850rpm gives me 52# oil psi... but I am concerned about the amout of metal in the filter.

So if everyone could please open thier filters and show us.. we would all learn a little more about the engine survival issue...

thanks
Dick
Old 09-15-2006, 09:10 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Blue,
Is your filter after the cooler?? Some say it is better to filter hot oil, and replace the cooler. Dick
I think so, I'm no expert... but I believe this is how the stock HP500 set up worked.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Found Copper & Silver metal in oil filter...

Bearings...bearings..bearings..
Old 09-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Registered

Sorry Blue, the oil pressure combined with the gold and silver flakes mean probably main bearings shot. No noise just mean you have caught it before serious damage. Do your self a large favor and tear it down before you hurt the block.

I open oil filters minimally at the end of season every year. I have noticed some very slight silver flakes (one every 20 pleats or so) but never had a problem. If you see many silver and gold flakes each pleat, trouble for sure. I've had that and know.

A word to the wise is sufficient.

BT
Old 09-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nordic95
If it make you feel any better I had my engines out three times this summer and only have 20 hours on them since the early spring.

SU$KS

Nordic95
maybe this will make him feel better ...pulled my motors Jan 29th ....Still not back in ..... hope it works out ...m
Old 09-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by engine
My engine had low oil pressure when warm (502 EFI).
Complete tear down showed all bearings totally waisted and and one spun main bearing. Hard to see if the bearing tolerances was right, engine has been rebuild by former owner. However I discovered from reading here at OSO that it?s crucial to have the right oil bypass valve in the block.
Mine had the wrong one, wrong for remote filter and cooler.

needs to be 30lb bypass ....less than 5 bucks from GM ...
Old 09-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should always replace the oil coolers when installing a rebuilt engine. Your installer should have insisted you did that. There is no way to get the metal chips out of the cooler and it is so inexpensive it is foolish not to replace it. Definitely replace it before you run the engine again. Replace the oil lines also.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

I am in the same boat as you are. My new 540s are out of my boat cause i had a bearing failure and broke the crank. At least you caught it early.

Quick Reply: Found Copper & Silver metal in oil filter...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.