Nose cone or no Nose cone?

Notices

Nose cone or no Nose cone?

Old 10-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Nose cone or no Nose cone?

Originally Posted by HPJunkie
who has whose nose cone? Anyone going 90+ and added one. THats where I am at. A like to break 100. Greg
I don't know anyone running 100mph without one. You definitely need one. Like yesterday, it’s not safe without one.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Re: Nose cone or no Nose cone?

Just another example...

With my boat I think there was a little more to it than just adding a nose cone, but I went from a stock length, stock nose Merc lower to an IMCO -2" lower with an integrated nose that is designed right into the casting. I also had to add 5-bladed Hydromotive props otherwise getting on plane with 4-bladed props was extremely difficult.

The -2" shorties brought the propshaft centerline to about 1.75" below the transom/hull straight ahead of it. I have a 32' A/T deep-V with completely conventional style hull (no-steps and no notched transom). I also have Stellings extension boxes and full race-type external steering with wingplates.

Without the -2" shorties/nosecones the boat did about 87mph on calm water. This was done with some tab in the water because the boat wanted to start chine walking after about 80+mph. The tabs slowed the speed, but was a must in order to defuse the chine walking.

When I added the -2" shorties/nose cones I didn't see any increase in speed with the 32" pitch 4-bladed props....maybe ONE MPH at the most----but I LOST TEN MPH in my midrange constant cruising speed. I absolutely didn't like that too well at all and I knew that if I was going to keep the -2" shorties on my drives that I was going to have to be real impressed with the 5-bladed props. However, I DID happen to notice an improvement in the handling of the boat...how it sat up on top of the water a little nicer with the IMCO shorties/cones with less tab in the water and the chine walk had pretty much vanished.

I was sent some 5-bladed 28" pitch Hydros because they didn't have any 30" pitch in stock which is what I really needed. The 28's popped me right up on plane which was MUCH better than the Bravo 32" 4-blades and the 5-bladed 28's brought me up to 90mph and was able to recover a 1-2mph increase in the midrange cruising speed so, I still wasn't happy about the 8mph loss there------BUT I noticed again how much better my boat handled with the IMCO shorties/nosecones and even more so with the Hydro 5-blades.

Hydro sent me a pair of their 30" pitch 5-bladed props once they came from the foundry and picked up all but about 2-3mph I had originally lost in the midrange cruising speed. Plus, I was able to do 93.6mph on the GPS with full fuel, flat calm water, and going against the current on the Muskegon River. Less tab in the water, pretty much no chine walk anymore and love how the boat rides now and how it sits on top of the water.

I had too many other variables going on to give full credit to the nosecones, but I am sure they had something to do with my speed increase. And of course they look awesome and have that "BLING" effect.
Attached Thumbnails Nose cone or no Nose cone?-imco-shorties-019.jpg   Nose cone or no Nose cone?-imco-shorties-020.jpg   Nose cone or no Nose cone?-imco-shorties-021.jpg