Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What limits the amount of boost? >

What limits the amount of boost?

Notices

What limits the amount of boost?

Old 09-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What limits the amount of boost?

It all comes down to how much cylinder pressure you can produce at any givin rpm and load without detonation. Not just intake manifold pressure, that is mearly a measure of restriction. You can have a motor that makes more hp with 5psi then another with 20psi if it moving more air and making more cylinder pressure. Cylinder pressure is power, the amount of air you are moving. I would have a profesional tunner tune it if you are asking this question. As it will save you a lot of money in headaches. You can run an amazing amount of power through a stock bottom if careful attention is payed to the tune.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:08 AM
Registered

Thanks guys,
The boost reference line is connected to the rear of the carb. enclosure. The Procharger tech said the larger ports would have no effect. I have learned not to reley on them for too much help! This is a stock HP 500 so I am a little concerned about how much is too much. I was seeing 8 lbs. boost and 15 lbs. fuel pressure when I signalled the driver to back down. Unfortunately I did not see the RPM, but I beleive it was between 5000 and 5500 due to the fact that that we just started trimming up and it was a relatively short blast. If I leave the set-up as is, I will certainly due a plug check, to see how she is burning.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by docmanrich37
My wife slapping me in the back of the head saying too fast too fast.
I thought my boat was the only one with a" B*tch governor"
Old 09-29-2006, 10:12 AM
Registered

If you are seeing increased boost you should also be seeing an increase in engine RPM due to more boost equals more power produced. Less restriction in the intercooler most diffenetly will give you more boost or better air flow.

Jim
Old 09-29-2006, 02:12 PM
Registered

The inter-cooler is the same model, just different size ports. I assumed the cores would be the same, so I am surprised that there would be so much more flow.( BTW Tomcat , if your following this thread, this is the inter-cooler I got from the guy you reffered me to this summer.) I would expect more RPM with more boost, but I am surprised that I got such an increase at that RPM.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

wrenchman: Glad the connection worked out.

To go from 5 to 8 psi is too much to be just from the IC swap. Two things come to mind. Maybe the air side of the old IC was blocked with dirt, belt fluff, etc., that was sucked into the compressor, Procharger doesn't use a filter. Also wondering if any other changes were made to the engine or exhaust that would have made the engine more restrictive, therefore more boost reading.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

I highly doubt you gained any boost from simply changing the inlet and outlet slightly on your innercooler. I did pressure drop test on a run of the mill aw504 on my boat 4 years ago and it was less than 1 psi,closer to 1/2 psi. Did you tighten up the end of your boost reference hose or tighten your belt? It is common for the 8 rib drives to slip unless runber band tight,especially if you run 4" or less upper dia pulleys. I had to change mine to 12 rib drive as it would make 6psi sometimes then 8 psi,after changing it boost was consitent,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails What limits the amount of boost?-boat-tests-005.jpg   What limits the amount of boost?-boat-tests-004.jpg  
Old 09-30-2006, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrenchman
The inter-cooler is the same model, just different size ports. I assumed the cores would be the same, so I am surprised that there would be so much more flow.( BTW Tomcat , if your following this thread, this is the inter-cooler I got from the guy you reffered me to this summer.) I would expect more RPM with more boost, but I am surprised that I got such an increase at that RPM.

Wrenchman
BTW what carb are you running?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hellbents10
It all comes down to how much cylinder pressure you can produce at any givin rpm and load without detonation. Not just intake manifold pressure, that is mearly a measure of restriction. You can have a motor that makes more hp with 5psi then another with 20psi if it moving more air and making more cylinder pressure. Cylinder pressure is power, the amount of air you are moving. I would have a profesional tunner tune it if you are asking this question. As it will save you a lot of money in headaches. You can run an amazing amount of power through a stock bottom if careful attention is payed to the tune.
Anytime I go from 5 PSI to 20 PSI I make HUGE gains in power......regardless of what type of engine!
Old 10-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Registered

JRYAN26, I am running the stock holley (800 CFM ?)
Tomcat, The old IC was clear and there were no changes made to the engine. The engine was out of the boat when I installed an IMCO ext. box, then re-installed but no other changes made. I was wondering what effect it would have if the braided boost ref. line had a restriction, IE.kinked or compressed?
Smitty, I am running the 12 rib. Prior to this, the setup ran very consistant 5lbs boost.

Quick Reply: What limits the amount of boost?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.