High Performance/Flow Fuel Pumps

Notices

High Performance/Flow Fuel Pumps

Old 10-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: High Performance/Flow Fuel Pumps

Originally Posted by tomcat
There is an A1200 pump that might be enough. It wasn't enough for 1000 HP but should work for you. That way you don't have to change any of your plumbing/fittings. Some have had good luck spinning the A1000 faster with higher voltage using a Kenne-Bell pump booster.
Where can you get the Kenne-Bell voltage booster? What does it cost?
Old 10-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by RBeyer
Where can you get the Kenne-Bell voltage booster? What does it cost?
Do a search on google,I bought mine from some place in fla that does mustangs and camaro's because kenne bell in Ca had a 3 month backlog 2 years ago. You run a boost reference fitting/hose to it,wire it into the supply side of your fuel pump and it ramps up voltage to the pump under boost. Msd makes one too but the k/B was rated to 35 or 40 amps,the msd was only good to 12 amps. Its a great idea as pump output goes down 20 % between 13.5 volts and 12 volts and goes up 20-30 % from 13.5 to 16 volts.Street car guys use them on efi trucks,camaros and mustangs with superchargers so they can make stock fuel pumps with stock fuel lines work without pulling gas tank,changing pump,replumbing lines etc and smaller regulators aren't overloaded when not under boost by too much volume. It was around 230$ if I remember correctly and has worked flawlessly on my boat for 1 1/2 seasons. Its perfect for a supercharged efi boat that is 5 or 10 psi short at wot if you don't want to replumb fuel system and install larger pump. I talked to a engineer at aeromotive and he said in their testing a fuel pump that would last 2000 hours would have its life shortened approx 50% but remember,most of these boats are only in FULL boost 10-20 hours out of 100 too. It is also adjustable between 13.5 to 16 volts under boost so you can dial it in a little too,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 10-15-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here is a pic,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails High Performance/Flow Fuel Pumps-boyne-019.jpg  
Old 10-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=most of these boats are only in full boost 10 hours out of 100 too. [/QUOTE]

10 out of 100 hours? Who are you kidding? You've never seen me drive my boat!!

How do you even work on that engine. Here's what a single engine 28 bilge should look like!!!

Seriously, thank you for all your time and help to date Smitty. Hopefully I'll get this engine right from the beginning thanks to all your input and advice.
Attached Thumbnails High Performance/Flow Fuel Pumps-beng2.jpg   High Performance/Flow Fuel Pumps-bengine.jpg  
Old 10-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ok, some of us only run our boats under full boost 10 or 20 hours out of 100,kurt runs his at full boost 97 out of 100 . 20 out of 100 hours on my boat are going thru no wake zones,majority of my boating is cruising between 45 to 65 mph at zero boost but the blower is definately pushing some extra air to get the boat to cruise there with a 30 or 32 pitch prop,Smitty
Kurt-don't ever let my son see your engine compt or he will commit mutiny on me,he is convinced all boat motors are wedged into boats (as my assistent in my business I pay him to stand on his head in my boat when work needs to be done) Smitty
Old 11-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell him it was trick photography.

I am still looking for a simple solution to my fuel pump issue. This damn project has me so spooked, I'm considering a carb! I know, I know I like EFI better also, but I don't have a fuel rail that can handle the flow, don't want two pumps and there are so many components in this equation that could fail.

I'm buying the drive this week to get started, heads will be ordered and shipped to Jim V for final hand porting. I just need to make a final decision on the induction set up.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you want a twin rail fuel injection setup call me and I can build you one fairly reasonable. I will need your injector length,I have a spare efi intake that I just bought for my next project that I could mock it up with,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails High Performance/Flow Fuel Pumps-dsc02971.jpg   High Performance/Flow Fuel Pumps-dsc02959.jpg   High Performance/Flow Fuel Pumps-dsc02956.jpg  

Old 11-21-2006, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

More-The injectors I used were much longer than stock which actually helped when I was making my replacement twin rails. I thought they were going to be within 30 thou of stock length and worked hard building twin rails to clear the intake runners but they went in the scrap bin as another failed project once I got the injectors. If your using the short ones I would just modify the stock rail and feed it from 2 places,if they are longer then a set of new ones similar to what I built would work nice. You CAN make your efi work,don't get too stressed out,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails High Performance/Flow Fuel Pumps-dsc02972.jpg   High Performance/Flow Fuel Pumps-dsc02963.jpg   High Performance/Flow Fuel Pumps-dsc02965.jpg  

Old 11-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am running the Aeromotive 1000 with no probs,but at 47psi with 9lbs of boost all summer.We went up to 11.5lbs of boost on the dyno ,made 5 pulls and didn't have a prob with the same fuel pressure drop.I have it set up bypassing back to the tank,

Overkill on the fuel system cant hurt either

Rob
Attached Thumbnails High Performance/Flow Fuel Pumps-hustler-insatll-3-15-06-035-medium-2-.jpg   High Performance/Flow Fuel Pumps-hustler-dyno-3.6-06-001-medium-.jpg   High Performance/Flow Fuel Pumps-hustler-insatll-3-15-06-004-medium-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Pantera28-650HP]
Originally Posted by most of these boats are only in full boost 10 hours out of 100 too. [/QUOTE

10 out of 100 hours? Who are you kidding? You've never seen me drive my boat!!

How do you even work on that engine. Here's what a single engine 28 bilge should look like!!!

Seriously, thank you for all your time and help to date Smitty. Hopefully I'll get this engine right from the beginning thanks to all your input and advice.
At that power level I would think you would need better exhaust

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.